Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2020, 05:44 AM

Default Confused about Pro Tools on Windows 10 PC

After watching the videos about Avid's control surfaces, I am really confused. I've been out of the game for a while and only remember using DAWs that installed on my Windows PC--no external or dedicated hardware units required. Is it possible to simply install the latest version of Pro Tools on my Windows 10 PC and use it that way, without any of the control surfaces? I don't really understand how the control surfaces work, anyway. Thanks
Old 01-07-2020, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Confused about Pro Tools on Windows 10 PC

yes
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
yes
It really is that simple. All control surfaces are essentially a fancy mouse You can mix any project(given enough time) with nothing but a mouse. Keyboard shortcuts speed things up. Control surfaces can speed things up even more, but you(the user) need to weigh working faster with spending more money I get a lot of mileage out of a used Presonus Faderport(first gen) that cost me less than $100

The piece of hardware you WILL need(my opinion) is a "real" interface(to get audio into and out of your DAW software). While you might be able to work with the on-board sound card, Windows is much happier(as is Pro Tools) if you set Windows to use the on-board sound card and dedicate a separate interface for Pro Tools. That doesn't need to be fancy or expensive. The small Behringer 202HD or the small Focusrite interface(with 1 or 2 inputs) will let you mix as many tracks as your DAW or computer can handle

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2020, 08:52 AM

So, as others have stated, the answers is yes, Protools doesn't require anything but a mouse....level 1 experience.

If you want to automate things there are single fader products for this with limited per channel control....level 2 experience.

If you want to control the product using a mixer type experience i.e. like you are using an external mixer, there are many options, probably the Artist Mix is my favorite which is 8 faders with various per channel options for muting, record enable and some control of plugins although, switching from plugin to plugin and altering their settings, this gets a bit cumbersome and you would may want to move up to another experience level. Some of the newer devices which are software based and use your ipad, clipped into a docking device play at this level, where you get real faders and transport controls but you also get a rich and full software experience to control things such as plugins on a per channel basis. Alternatively, you can download the free Avid software and skip the docking device. I use this approach for controlling Protools from afar when I am tracking myself in the living room and PT is operating in another room in my house. The ultimate wireless controller. Requires using your home network. These are level 3 experience.

At level 4 you get more advance and numerous switches and dials to control the plugins and overall interface. A bit more advanced but always programmable to your work style. The ICON comes to mind here .

If you want all of level 4 plus built in preamps and in some cases actual AD/DA converters then something like the Avid S3 all the way up to the S6 could be an option. Get out your wallet however. These are level 5, generally top notch solutions.

So you have a lot of options but you can also just use a mouse as others have stated.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply.