Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-15-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Possible to use an iPad Mini 3 as a remote keyboard for software instruments?

I have had to downsize my traveling setup and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used an iPad as a remote keyboard driving software instruments in PT 12? I had carried an Akai but it doesn't fit in my bag anymore. Also going to look at the Roli Seaboard, but it would sure be easier if there was a way to make the iPad I already carry into my USB/MIDI driver.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Possible to use an iPad Mini 3 as a remote keyboard for software instruments?

I haven't specifically used this in Pro Tools (I use Ableton Live in my live rig), but I use TouchOSC to control Ableton Live with my iPad.

Now I just use the app to trigger scenes in Ableton to start playback of our live show, but they have a MIDI keyboard layout you can use in the same way.

There's no delay and all it requires is for both your computer and your iPad (or any iOS device) to be on the same network. Can't recommend it more!

It's cheap, too.. like $5 on the app store maybe? I can't remember, bought it like six years ago.

EDIT: I don't think you can use the iPad as the main driver, but if you're just using a laptop, you shouldn't need an interface. The iPad just acts as a wireless MIDI controller with the app.