Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2019, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Fabfilter Christmas price drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Was the harshness fix on the bagpipes a broad-stroke fix or more surgical in nature? I imagine that fixing harshness in bagpipes with narrow focused repairs and not having it sound "peaky" would be quite a feat.
Was/is a broad stroke deal. There's too much in overtones going on with pipes.

QAPLA!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Was/is a broad stroke deal. There's too much in overtones going on with pipes.
I'm in the middle of some big paradigm changes with my mix strategy. The system enhancements I made this year and especially November when I got the UAD x6 have changed everything I do. I was using the Acon seemingly everywhere, and often twice on anything I tracked. Once for repair and once for overall, more subtle adjustments to make things sound less "peaky".

That's all changed. Far less repairs needed. Gentle slopes and shelving have become the norm as it should be. For that, I'm finding the FF to be much better for me.

Also, I think the Acon was brighter than the FF, which sort of adds up over the course of a session. Even when not doing an sharp changes. Still, I can't be 100% certain on that one. A/B gets my ears cluttered too easily on things like that. (long-time inherited personal ear health issues in play)

I've not used the new Tilt slope on anything yet, nor have I used the per band L/R or MS adjustments. I will be shortly, though. I liked the Blue Cat L/R functionality when I was using it, but often found it to be a bit sharp sounding, too. TBD, but so far, so good.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I'm in the middle of some big paradigm changes with my mix strategy. The system enhancements I made this year and especially November when I got the UAD x6 have changed everything I do. I was using the Acon seemingly everywhere, and often twice on anything I tracked. Once for repair and once for overall, more subtle adjustments to make things sound less "peaky".

That's all changed. Far less repairs needed. Gentle slopes and shelving have become the norm as it should be. For that, I'm finding the FF to be much better for me.

Also, I think the Acon was brighter than the FF, which sort of adds up over the course of a session. Even when not doing an sharp changes. Still, I can't be 100% certain on that one. A/B gets my ears cluttered too easily on things like that. (long-time inherited personal ear health issues in play)

I've not used the new Tilt slope on anything yet, nor have I used the per band L/R or MS adjustments. I will be shortly, though. I liked the Blue Cat L/R functionality when I was using it, but often found it to be a bit sharp sounding, too. TBD, but so far, so good.
You talk about slopes and shelving and that's where I like the analyzer display in Q3. You get to see both before and after without having to load a separate analyzer plugin which for my use is one of the Blue Cat pieces. It's nice seeing how the slopes interact with each other and is helping me to understand a bit more of what is happening with eq. I don't mind the cpu hit taken with this plugin for all it does to the good.

One thing I'm surprised FF didn't build in (or I missed it) is proportional q like API.

I get where you're coming from with ear issues although mine aren't inherited. Some self-inflicted due to working in a steel mill for 4 years and then all that time with music on both sides of the glass when people didn't pay attention to what high volumes could do. Can you say permanent tinnitus? And sometimes at multiple freqs? That's another reason I love waveform analyzers.

QAPLA!