Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Default 11r + pod hd500

Hi everyone, n00b to this board. I know I want an 11R, but I'm seriously considering a POD HD500 as the pedalboard controller and to fill in the "gaps" effects and amps wise. What would be the best method to connect the two, considering I'd want the HD500 to act as a patch changer, but also be able to provide the amp models and in-chain effects at times?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Default Re: 11r + pod hd500

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Hi everyone, n00b to this board. I know I want an 11R, but I'm seriously considering a POD HD500 as the pedalboard controller and to fill in the "gaps" effects and amps wise. What would be the best method to connect the two, considering I'd want the HD500 to act as a patch changer, but also be able to provide the amp models and in-chain effects at times?
are you talking about for live use or in studio? for changing the presets of the Rack you would use MIDI cables. It could get tricky, depending on what you want to do, when it comes to adding the sounds from the POD to the 11R.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Believe me you are not the first person to have thought of that idea. There are a couple of people on this forum planning to do the same thing and one who is probably doing it as we speak.

Anyway, yesterday my time, a board member posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrieman View Post
Blewis,

I surely hope you made the right decision.

The midi board functionality HD500 is not flawless.
http://line6.com/community/message/187088

I stay put and wait till christmas for the Stealthboard altough their lack of communication is .........
I am pretty much a noob when it comes to MIDI and MIDI mapping maybe you can understand the article a little better than I.

As for the rest of your question - well, I can't answer it, the HDxxx series hasn't landed on our shores as of yet, and I have no idea when it will .
Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 PM

I tried it with the 400HD and could not make it work. But I'm not the best we these types of thing. When I had it all hooked up it looked like a time machine had thrown up in my little music room. I was not real impressed with the 400. It has some cool amps but the blend of the amps and the effects is kinda weird. Old school amps for the most part with new school effects. I took it back.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

One of the issues you'd have is which one you're using for what, and if that would change in the course of a live show. What I mean is, are you using the amps in the POD with the effects in 11R, or vice versa, or a mixture of both? Because then that brings up the question of which one your guitar is plugged into, and which one is plugged into which, etc.

This is not even dealing with the midi switching aspect, I'm just talking about basic routing.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
This is an idea I am currently toying with. To do this in a live situation, you would first need the HD500, it is the only HD model with midi in and out. You would use the midi out to control the patch changes in the 11R.

The next step would be to either run a line out of the HD500 into the FX Return of the 11R or a line out of the 11R into the FX Return of the HD500.

You would then have to create rigs in the 11R to accommodate the audio coming from the HD500. For instance, if you wanted to simply use an amp from the HD500, you would create a rig in the 11R that had the FX Loop turned on, but bypassed all 11R effects, amps and cabs. If you wanted to mix from both, you would again have the FX Loop active in the rig with the effects and/or amp model coming from the HD500, put the FX Loop where ever you want in the chain to go with whatever effects, amps/cabs you are using in 11R.

This is how I picture it working in my head without actually owning both pieces. If anyone else has another idea on this, please share!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm in the process of figuring out how these two units can work together.

Maybe it's mainly a The Gear Page problem, but I've been conditioned not to post much about it until I've explored things for a while. I've learned that if I'm not a perfect objective scientist, loads of people will pile on and say I work for Avid or Line6 or whatever.

I'm only half kidding. ;-) It's mainly because I've been busy @Work. ;-)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
I'm in the process of figuring out how these two units can work together.

Maybe it's mainly a The Gear Page problem, but I've been conditioned not to post much about it until I've explored things for a while. I've learned that if I'm not a perfect objective scientist, loads of people will pile on and say I work for Avid or Line6 or whatever.

I'm only half kidding. ;-) It's mainly because I've been busy @Work. ;-)
Do you already have the HD500 in your possession?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Do you already have the HD500 in your possession?
Yes. I got one the first Friday they were released (Oct 8th I think)
Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 PM

I would definitely be interested in how this works blewis. My thoughts were somewhat as already stated, that MIDI from the HD500 would change the patches on the 11R.

What I am not sure of is if the effects loop on the 11R can be moved inside the signal chain per preset. The idea here is that if using the HD500 only to feed some effects to the 11R, then it could be earlier in the signal chain, but the amp settings from the HD500 would be at or near the back of the signal chain.

From reviews, it sounds like the 11R has better cab and mic modeling, so using the HD500 to just supply the amp model may be a good way to go as well.

Of course, I also think maybe I'm over-complicating things and could/should just go with the 11R + MIDI controller...the new Yamaha MFC10 looks like a good one.