Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Default Catching Up...A Few Questions

Hello All...

I bought my 11R when they first came out.I used it for a while just stand alone with some studio monitors and headphones.
I had bad installer discs so the nice folks at Digi fixed me up with some downloads....that never got used...
All of this was a bit more than year ago and I was side tracked by some other issues...and my 11R just sat....but now I'm back.

I've been reading a lot of posts on here and man have things progressed!!!
But I'm also getting a little confused so..

I want to get the Expansion and I'm also getting a new machine so I thought I would pick up PT9 while I'm at it...so here is my question...

In what order should I do things starting with a fresh machine to get up to speed?

I will buy the Expansion.
I will buy PT9.
I will update the 11R firmware

Just want it all to be as seamless as possible...all this tech stuff makes me sweat :)...so I just want to make sure I do things in the right order.

Thanks all....sure sounds like you guys are having great results with the 11R and I cant wait to join in.

Chris
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Make sure the Eleven Rack plays fine now stand alone (e.g. no clock related problems). Then buy and install the Pro Tools 9 upgrade. Make sure your computer meets the Pro Tools requirements if you plan on recording, especially things like separate audio and systems hard drives. You will need the ElevenRack serial number to qualify for the upgrade price. You do *not* need to mess with an 8.0 install if you don't have one already, just use the full installer for 9.0. You will need to create an account at www.avid.com if you do not have one already. You will need an iLok (get the new generation one if you don't have one already). Create an account on www.iLok.com and register your iLok. You need that for Avid to push a License to you. Once you have 9.0 installed and working and talking to your Eleven Rack then install the expansion pack and follow the instructions in the two step install to update the firmware and Pro Tools. I don't see any reason to install any intermediate firmware updates. Best advice is to read all those install docs - they are pretty good. Many people having install problems clearly have not done that.

Enjoy. Definitely get the expansion pack.

Darryl
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Catching Up...A Few Questions

Thanks Darryl...
A perfect reply...very helpfull!!
Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Here are some links to help you out,

You didn't mention if you were going Mac or PC, so here are the opts for both - if you go PC, make sure to use Windows 7 64 bit.

Avid Windows 7 Optimizations Video Playlist - YouTube

Windows 7 Optimizations

Mac Guide - Mac OS X Optimizations and Troubleshooting

Mac Guide - Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Optimizations and Troubleshooting

Mac Guide - Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Optimizations and Troubleshooting

-----------------------

Pro Tools 9 Frequently Asked Questions

Pro Tools 9.0.3 Update

Driver Downloads and Updates for Pro Tools 9 and 8

Eleven Rack Expansion Pack (ERXP) FAQ

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Just to clarify things since you don't seem to be aware of this, the Expansion Pack is also a firmware upgrade (to version 2.01), so all you really need to do is buy, install it to your computer, connect the 11R through USB and run the upgrade process. You can do this in any order, but if you install Pro Tools after upgrading the 11R you must run the computer install part again so the 11R editor plug in recognizes the new models in the ERXP.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

You didn't mention if you were going Mac or PC, so here are the opts for both - if you go PC, make sure to use Windows 7 64 bit.
Is ProTools 9 64-bit? I know it's compatible, but it won't see beyond the first 4GB of ram installed or am I out of date in my information here?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM

No Pro Tools is 32 bit. But a 64 bit Windows OS should have benefits of a little more usable memory (due to how Windows handles memory) and better overall memory handling. If Windows the advice to be on Windows 7 64 bit is a good one.

Let's not turn this into another 64 bit thread there are a lot to read on that in other threads.

Darryl
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM

I was only asking because I just went through the exact same scenario as the OP. Bought the 11R, upgraded to EXRP, installed PT 8.0.5 LE on my old WinXP machine and was relatively dissappointed with the performance. I turned around and bought a new buttkicking system (in my mind anyway) and went Win7 64 and am pretty happy right now...but the PT9 upgrade was kind of lingering in my head because if I could utilize all or even more of my ram that would kind of be a better use of my resources (in my mind anyway). But I fail to see the reason to upgrade right now if it doesn't take full advantage of my system's capabilities.

I can't complain, everything seems to work well, but if there was a major advantage like the extra memory addressing I'd have to at least consider it.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 PM

RAM memory issues are only likely if you are using lots of (or just memory hungry) VIs. For many users its just not an issue. Pro Tools 9 was never advertised to and does not changes the memory handling in significant ways.

The reason I upgraded to Pro Tools 9 is simply to be able to use Pro Tools without needing a Digidesign interface present. That lets me edit things on my MacBook Pro wherever I am or play backing tracks or recordings out of the Mac into any audio system without needing the Eleven Rack. I expect that "open" interface capability would justify the upgrade for many users.

As for using more RAM accessible on your "buttkicking" Windows PC with a 64 bit application, that would only make a difference if your RAM usage now is really hitting the 32 bit limits. While these memory limits are a real issue for some users, be careful what the real issues are in your case, it may not be memory. It might be disk or processor or often just a less than well configured system.

Darryl
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
but if there was a major advantage...... I'd have to at least consider it.
Pro Tools 9 is not locked to a Digidesign/Avid interface

and the biggest thing IMO, PT9 has ADC.

You can look at the new features here:

http://www.avid.com/us/products/fami...-Tools/compare

If you want to watch the launch of PT9 that happened at AES 2010, I have the captured live stream on my Youtube channel - it was a great night indeed, i remember it like it was yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT_s416LYTQ

its 4 parts, look in the description for parts 2,3, and 4

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio