Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Default attaching 5.1 sound to film workflow.

I'm currently redoing the soundtrack for a short film in 5.1 and have been advised against using PT for the final part of attaching the video to audio, mainly because of the order in which is delivers its channels.

I have been advised to bounce out of PT in multiple mono, and then use logic or quick time 7 to merge them.

Just wondering what everyone elses workflows for completing the project is?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Default Re: attaching 5.1 sound to film workflow.

I use Quicktime Pro 7, I think most others do the same. It goes pretty quick once you get the workflow down.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxmw View Post
I use Quicktime Pro 7, I think most others do the same. It goes pretty quick once you get the workflow down.
Yeh cool, just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm using this workflow

Just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing/not doing etc
Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 AM

Thats the same workflow I use except that I use the "add to movie" command when pasting in each file, I' not sure how that and "add to selection and scale" differ.
I use the same workflow for posting quicktimes for approval as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thats the same workflow I use except that I use the "add to movie" command when pasting in each file, I' not sure how that and "add to selection and scale" differ.
I use the same workflow for posting quicktimes for approval as well.
Never use "add to selection and scale". If your audio is as little as +/- 1 frame in length, it will time stretch. I've had cases where clients have told me sound was out of sync, only to discover they'd been using this method and had since added credits to the file, meaning the one I worked to and the one they added sound to were different lengths, despite the film itself being the same. Totally screwed things up. Avoid!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Yea, thats why I use the add to movie command. You just set your cursor in quicktime at the location you want the file your adding to start, hit "add to movie" and your good. I usually make the Pro Tools exports the same length as the quicktime just to dummy proof it more
Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yea, thats why I use the add to movie command. You just set your cursor in quicktime at the location you want
didn't even realise that was possible, so every track I added was joined to the end of the previous resulting in a long string of files. thats why I thought they had said use the scale option

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Never use "add to selection and scale". If your audio is as little as +/- 1 frame in length, it will time stretch. I've had cases where clients have told me sound was out of sync, only to discover they'd been using this method and had since added credits to the file, meaning the one I worked to and the one they added sound to were different lengths, despite the film itself being the same. Totally screwed things up. Avoid!
Yeh I thought about this when I added a 10 second guitar clip to a 5 minute movie and it went to uber-timestretch mode. I started just adding silence at the end so it was the same length as the movie. seemed like a ridiculous workflow to be honest.

thanks for your help guys, two more questions.

When saving the file, it then says to export it, what is the difference between a file that has been saved and one that has been exported?

also should I be using "left surround" and "right surround" or "left surround rear" and "right surround rear"? I assume one will be for 7.1, but I'm only doing 5.1.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 PM

I always do "Save as" and rename the file. I've had files not play sound when just doing a save but by doing save as, it has always worked fine.
I don't do "export" because I want to keep the video track the same as what the editor sent me - ProRes etc.
I've always used Left Surround, Right Surround and never had any complaints
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but Protools allows you to run your surround order in different formats/order. I would assume it saves it that way also. So I'm not sure why you need to use another program for this.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM

Most of time that I do this is for posting quicktimes for approval. I've also done it for surround laybacks to quicktime files where your working with compressed picture during the mix and need to layback to a ProRes quicktime for final delivery.