How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Sound on Sound?

Just bought PT 12 so that i can learn it. I do like 12 so far but i think im missing something or Protools is ridiculously behind. I'm not seeing a way to do sound on sound...

I have been tracking a masterful percussionist and his kit requires about 12 mics and after we do a take and let the cymbals/drums decay naturally... he wants to punch in and record the next section of the song. when i punch him in the decay of the previous part abruptly stops and gets replaced by the new audio instead of allowing the decay to finish and bleed into the next part like it NEEDS to.

so then i duplicate all 12 tracks and their effects and punch him in and alternate between the 2 sets of 12 drum tracks..but that's stupid. All other DAWs Ive worked in will do sound on sound. I mean i get that PT kinda emulates the old mixing board and analog tape work flow but that would just be down right...silly for the "industry standard" recording program to cut of the decay of sounds when punching in...what am i missing?