Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-25-2011, 07:12 AM

Smile Same idea, different solution.

There is a similar post about this same subject so I hope that I'm not causing any issues with this one. Anyway, on the subject of running a hardware effects send/return in Pro tools. My interface is a 2 in by 2 out, (analog) and I use a hardware mixer. As an experiment, I plan on creating a duplicate lead vocal track from a previously recorded one to start. Ordinarily I return the interface outputs 1 & 2, L-R to 2 channel strips on the mixer for playback but, this time I would use a different mixer channel strip to return the newly created vocal track playback to the mixer.(I.E.),by assigning it to output 2, mono in PT's. Now, if I'm right, I can go from the insert send on that mixer channel strip to the effects (reverb) box, and then return the signal to the unused interface input in Pt's (input 2,mono), to another newly created mono track in PT's, assigned input 2 mono. Put that track in record and punch the play button. That way, if it works, I'll wind up with a new track with effect and I can use the PT's fader for that track to regulate the reverb effect on mix down ! Does this sound like it might work? I've gone through page after page on the send/return subject in the manual. since I'm a hardware guy it just sounds easier to me and less complicated. How about added latency ? Would that be a problem. Any danger of zapping PT's or the i/o ? (This may be a real stupid solution and anyone who wants to tell me to just go by the rules, that's ok with me. Thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Same idea, different solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
There is a similar post about this same subject so I hope that I'm not causing any issues with this one. Anyway, on the subject of running a hardware effects send/return in Pro tools. My interface is a 2 in by 2 out, (analog) and I use a hardware mixer. As an experiment, I plan on creating a duplicate lead vocal track from a previously recorded one to start. Ordinarily I return the interface outputs 1 & 2, L-R to 2 channel strips on the mixer for playback but, this time I would use a different mixer channel strip to return the newly created vocal track playback to the mixer.(I.E.),by assigning it to output 2, mono in PT's. Now, if I'm right, I can go from the insert send on that mixer channel strip to the effects (reverb) box, and then return the signal to the unused interface input in Pt's (input 2,mono), to another newly created mono track in PT's, assigned input 2 mono. Put that track in record and punch the play button. That way, if it works, I'll wind up with a new track with effect and I can use the PT's fader for that track to regulate the reverb effect on mix down ! Does this sound like it might work? I've gone through page after page on the send/return subject in the manual. since I'm a hardware guy it just sounds easier to me and less complicated. How about added latency ? Would that be a problem. Any danger of zapping PT's or the i/o ? (This may be a real stupid solution and anyone who wants to tell me to just go by the rules, that's ok with me. Thanks
Hey terry,
IF it works for you do it.. but this way does not allow for Delay Compensation. (look up "inserts" in the manual). You will probably end up with some kind of comb filtering playing those back, and may need to nudge the region around
And unless you are using some amazing hardware reverb.. you would be much better off doing all of this inside of Pro Tools, either by using a buss to send the audio to an Aux track with your effect (verb, delay, whatever) instanced. Or by merely duplicating the vocal track and instancing a verb on the duplicate and mix the two together to taste. Always a good idea (even with ADC) to instance the same plugin in the original track and bypass it, creating no margin for error with ADC. Good luck. SB
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Bailey Bass. I kind of expected that. I guess I should follow your advice, do it right and quit looking for shortcuts.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks, Bailey Bass. I kind of expected that. I guess I should follow your advice, do it right and quit looking for shortcuts.
It's never a bad thing to experiment, this is how you will learn new things that maybe the majority doesn't even know. or get a certain sound that you fall in love with.

Wave-T.com