Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Unhappy Factory PlugIn Presets gone!

Hi Forum Members,
this is my first post in the forum. Hello to everyone.
I recently bought PT9 software. Love it but have some issues.

All the factory PlugIns are not available by default.
They seem to be in the right folder!
HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/PlugIn Presets

i can open the Plug Ins but when i want to choose other presets than default, nothing is there.
I tried to set the root PlugIn folder which does not help.
I found this one and followed the instructions, no luck!:
"1) Open a session, create an audio track and insert an EQIII plug-in ( doesn't really matter which plug-in though ).

2) In the margin at the top of the plug-in window with "Track", "Preset" and "Auto" in it, click the little down arrow to the right of "Preset"

3) From the menu choose "Settings Preferences" then from the sub menu choose "Set Root Settings Folder".

4) Now you can navigate to the folder where all your plugin presets are stored. It is typically MacHD>Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug-In Settings.

Be aware that trashing protools preference files and databases when trouble shooting Protools can erase these settings, so if you trash a bunch of preference files in the future, be prepared to go through the steps above again.

It might also be worth having a look at the Protools reference manual with regards to this, not being a smart ass, but there's quite a good bit of functionality in the Plug-in Settings Menu that really is worth knowing ( start reading around page 886 ).

well, i can import all the settings but you know this is lot of work to do.
If this is the only workaround how can i avoid having all the imported presets in one list. Or in different words: how can i organize them in folders like they are organized in the root folders.
once i have done this will that work for all sessions or do i need to redo this heavy process for other sessions.

help appreciated!
any ideas.
hope there is an easier way!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Factory PlugIn Presets gone!

10 days later....
i´m stuck.
not even a comment ...
little dissapointing.

seems i have to reinstall , which is the worst case.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking. Seems like your not seeing the Plug-in presets. If you follow the 2 steps that you quoted (see below), the presets for every plug should now appear, no need to repeat. If this is what you tried and it doesn't work try Repair Permissions from the Disk Utility app.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

3) From the menu choose "Settings Preferences" then from the sub menu choose "Set Root Settings Folder".

4) Now you can navigate to the folder where all your plugin presets are stored. It is typically MacHD>Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug-In Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosto View Post
10 days later....
i´m stuck.
not even a comment ...
little dissapointing.

seems i have to reinstall , which is the worst case.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM

One other suggestion to make to you... a STRONG suggestion.

Learn to make clones/images of your drives. Uninstalling does not always seem to work for some folks, mounting images can save you a TON of time.

Use SuperDuper! or one of the others (for mac) at various stages.

Myself, I did a fresh install of OSX, made an image, installed PT9, made another image, installed all of my plugs, made another image. That way if something doesn't work, you can remount your last working image in a few minutes instead of having to start over again.

I can't help with your specific problem as I've never seen it or come across it.. but I do wish you all the best!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM

thanks for you contribution.

@zoff
i tried the quoted suggestion several time with no success.
trashing prefs and repairing permission did not solve the problem.
somehow magic since i seem to be the only person having this problem for whom the relinking process does not work.
anyway, thanks zoff!

@danader11
very good suggestion
will try that...
thanks a lot
Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 PM

i created a new user account with administrator access.
now my problem is solved. all factory plugins are back and accessible from the popup in the plug in window.
good news!!!! everything seems to work as it is expected to. have to check in detail in the the next days.

what about the old user! should i keep him. anything to be said against deleting this user?