Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Default How Do I Upgrade From PT10HD to Newer Version?

Hi there,

I've been running PT 10HD on a mid 2012 Mac Pro Quad Core (3.2 GHz)

Mac OSX 10.8.5 (Mountain lion) with an Avid HD I/O 16x16 Analog for quite a while. I'd like to upgrade to a newer version of PT finally but I'm not sure even how to go about doing this.

Do I still need my PCIE card installed in my comp? Is my interface even compatible?

Sorry to put this on here but Avid makes customer support impossible and Im looking to get an idea of what scaling up might entail for me

Thanks for any help
Old 05-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Re: How Do I Upgrade From PT10HD to Newer Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audodido View Post
Hi there,

I've been running PT 10HD on a mid 2012 Mac Pro Quad Core (3.2 GHz)

Mac OSX 10.8.5 (Mountain lion) with an Avid HD I/O 16x16 Analog for quite a while. I'd like to upgrade to a newer version of PT finally but I'm not sure even how to go about doing this.

Do I still need my PCIE card installed in my comp? Is my interface even compatible?

Sorry to put this on here but Avid makes customer support impossible and Im looking to get an idea of what scaling up might entail for me

Thanks for any help
What exact PCIe card? If its an HD card, its no longer compatible. If its an HD/Native card, it is still supported so just be aware of a few details:
1-best to remove the current system drive and leave it just as it is(put it aside in case of emergency, so you can re-install it and get work done as you are currently)
2-you will still need to own HD software(or "Ultimate" if you are going all the way to the newest).
3-starting at 12.6, you MUST also have a Digilink license for your iLok(without it, the HD IO will not be seen).
4-do a fresh install of everything(OSX, Pro Tools HD software and every plugin you own). I know this is a lot of work, but it is the only way to get a smooth-running setup(DO NOT USE data migration). Assuming your sessions are on separate hard drives, they should open and run fine-BUT(the great big BUT), your sessions need to be in wave file format as SD II files will not be recognized by the current PT or OSX

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave