Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 AM

Default Protools 11 has put an end to my use of Protools

Thanks for the PT 11 upgrade. I downloaded it over the weekend, installed and went to register it on my ILOK. In the process, I surrendered my PT 10 licence only to be then informed that PT 11 will only transfer registration to a second gen ILOK, which they do not sell in my city on a Sunday. Took off from work early Monday , paid for the Ilok, came home authorised PT11, and fired it up to find that all my wrapped plug ins are gone and that PT no longer supports them. This effectively means that PT is next to useless as a creative aid as my drummer lives on the north coast and emails his tracks as midi files.
I'd like to thank Avid for wasting my time, which is now being spent converting sessions to Reaper.
So long.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Protools 11 has put an end to my use of Protools

Why don't you use Pro Tools 10 still?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Can I still use PT10 after Ilok.com made me surrender my PT9 and 10 licences during the 11 authorisation?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 AM

Yes, 11 comes with a license for 10, so users can still use their old PI's etc. until they are updated.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 AM

PT11 should have came with a PT10 license as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 AM

I would if I can run both 10 and 11 side by side on my PC. The 11 installer made me remove 10 and the Avid drivers before it would allow me to proceed so I suspect the same thing would happen in reverse.
Otherwise, I'll spend my time working in and familiarising myself with Reaper and move on.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
Yes, 11 comes with a license for 10, so users can still use their old PI's etc. until they are updated.
As a early user of HDX I bet $5 that PT12 or later will be out before any good amount of plugins are ready. In normal times we would be 4 months away from PT12 meaning two versions of PT and still no reasonable amount of DSP plugs available. I think the industry is really sticking it to avid on this one. Seems to me that they have had enough of the, our way or the highway.
ALOT of designers seem to have chosen the highway simply to avoid the problem that comes with even dealing with AVID and I don't even blame them one bit.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 AM

PT10 and PT11 can both be installed side by side on the same computer and you will have licenses for both on your iLok. All is well.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manganay View Post
Thanks for the PT 11 upgrade. I downloaded it over the weekend, installed and went to register it on my ILOK. In the process, I surrendered my PT 10 licence only to be then informed that PT 11 will only transfer registration to a second gen ILOK, which they do not sell in my city on a Sunday. Took off from work early Monday , paid for the Ilok, came home authorised PT11, and fired it up to find that all my wrapped plug ins are gone and that PT no longer supports them. This effectively means that PT is next to useless as a creative aid as my drummer lives on the north coast and emails his tracks as midi files.
I'd like to thank Avid for wasting my time, which is now being spent converting sessions to Reaper.
So long.
Sorry Peter but .. did you read any informations before wrote this?

- iLok 2 needed. Known and discussed for a long time.
- AAX64 only, no other plugin formats. Known and discussed for a very long time.
- PT10/PT11 side by side installation. PT10/PT11 License bundle on iLok. Known and working. I'm working with 10.3.6 now .. PT11 is running just for testing purposes on my rig. I'm waiting for a lot 3rd party updates too .. but, who cares, 10 is running still great.

There are tons of threads about that, readme's, pdf documents, announcments ....

Come on .. you spend the money to upgrade to pro tools 11 and you simply ignore all these informations?

Greetings

Alex
Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manganay View Post
I would if I can run both 10 and 11 side by side on my PC. The 11 installer made me remove 10 and the Avid drivers before it would allow me to proceed so I suspect the same thing would happen in reverse.
Otherwise, I'll spend my time working in and familiarising myself with Reaper and move on.
11 should not have removed 10, if that is the case download 10 again and re-install it!
What you will find however is that the 11 and 10 icons look the same when installed (whoever was in charge of that deserves a wedge)

Both will run side by side (I'm having my own issues with 11 on my imac but it's not compatibility between 10 and 11 as 10 and 11 work fine on my MBP)