Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Assignments to Spill Zones not being recalled!

Sorry to be posting here yet again but I've run into another issue.

Eddie? Anyone at Avid.... HELP!!!!

Here's my problem......

In a PT12.4 session I'm assigning tracks/layouts to the L and R Spill Zones.

In my case.
L Spill Zone - I'm assigning a Layout mostly consisting of VCAs, Master Fader and Click Track
R Spill Zone - I hit the R Spill Zone switch, On the Tracks screen using the Assign Tracks to Spill Zones function, I select the tracks I want in the Spill Zone, then hit Spill. My Right Spill Zone is then populated with all the selected tracks.

This works great for me. I can spill VCAs from the L Spill Zone over to the Right Spill Zone and just see my drum tracks for example, collapse the VCA spill then I'm back to seeing all the tracks I've assigned using Assign Tracks to Spill Zones in the Right Spill Zone.

But here's the problem. These Spill Zone assignments are NOT being recalled when I reopen the Pro Tools session. None of the S6 faders are populated although the Spill Zone switch LEDs are lit. If I hit Shift then the two Spill Zone switches, the S6 faders get populated with all the tracks in the session. So.... In other words, I'm loosing all my assignments to the Spill Zones and have to re-do them every time I reopen a session. This is a PITA!!!!

I have the little blue star showing next to the Pro Tools WS icon but this seems to only allow the saving of Layouts to the Pro Tools session. I've tried saving a Title file locally on the S6 but again, this isn't recalling assignments to the Spill Zones.

Am I doing something wrong here?.... Is there a setting I've missed?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Avid

Default Re: Assignments to Spill Zones not being recalled!

Greetings,

Layouts can be saved with the Pro Tools session using the blue star target as you mentioned. Spill Zones are defined and saved with the console settings. S6 does not currently save the specific items (VCAs, Track Types, Layouts, Workstation tracks) which are populated into the left or right zones back to the Pro Tools session file.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

Layouts can be saved with the Pro Tools session using the blue star target as you mentioned. Spill Zones are defined and saved with the console settings. S6 does not currently save the specific items (VCAs, Track Types, Layouts, Workstation tracks) which are populated into the left or right zones back to the Pro Tools session file.

Jeff
OK Thanks Jeff. Can I make a feature request for an option for Spill Zone assignments to be saved to a Pro Tools session file along with Layouts?

As things stand with my S6 workflow, when I open a PT session, I have to assign a Layout to one Spill zone, easy enough, but then I need to go into the Track Matrix and manually assign tracks to the other spill zone. If you have to do this for 60 tracks a number of times a day it gets tiresome very quickly. I can't do this with Layouts because I'm currently limited to 24 tracks per Layout until this gets changed.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Avid

The other option is to use VCA masters for the groupings of tracks that you want to populate into a Spill Zone. With 2.1 Software it is possible to dive into and out of groups of channels controlled by VCA Masters even if they are nested.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ