Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Default RTAS plugins using way too much CPU?

For some reason when I opened up Pro Tools today, my plugins seemed to be taking up inordinate amounts of CPU power. Any session I try to play with more than one or two plugins running will overload the CPU after a few seconds. Sessions without plugins don't seem to have any problems. Now, I have a pretty fast computer and before today I was running 10-20 plugins at a time with no problems, so it seems like there definitely an issue here. The only thing I've done recently that I think may have caused this is upgraded Quicktime to version 7.4.5. I didn't think updating something other than Pro Tools or the operating system would cause problems, but it may have caused this. What do you guys think?

Also, there seem to be "spikes" in the CPU usage according to the CPU meter in Pro Tools. While the part of the CPU bar that is solid green (I assume this is average CPU usage) never gets above 25% or so, the green line after the solid green bar (which I assume is peak CPU usage) spikes to 75% to 100% usage every couple seconds. I dunno if this is relevant or not but it seems worth mentioning.

So, after further messing around, I found out that if I check the "Ignore errors during playback/record" option, it seems to fix the problem...the session plays back fine, and I don't hear any clicks or pops. Interestingly, the peak CPU usage seems to stop spiking after I check this option as well. Still, I'd like to find a way to get it to work without having to do this, since it seems like keeping this option checked has the potential to reduce the playback/recording quality, so if this information clues anybody in to what the problem is, please post your thoughts! Thanks!

Here are my system specs:

2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 2GB RAM running Mac OSX 10.4.11
Pro Tools LE 7.4 with Mbox2 (plugged into the left USB port, of course)
External hard drive connected via Firewire 800
iLok attached to right USB port
Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Re: RTAS plugins using way too much CPU?

Have you optimized your setup for protools? You don't have anything running in the background do you? Like bluetooth, etc.

Also, before you do any upgrading (iTunes, Quicktime, OS, etc), clone your drive on an external, just in case things don't quite work out for you and your setup.

Just my 2 Hz.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 AM

What plug-ins are you running when this happens?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:41 AM

A friend of mine had similar problems recently and found that it was due to an Airport Extreme Update.

Try disabling Airport?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 PM

A lot of time what you describe is caused by out of date plugs, check all your plugin's versions and make sure they are the latest ones. Download the "Tech Support Folder" from Digidesign and make use of the feature that moves whole groups of plugs from your plug in folder to your unused plug in folder to help track down the offending plug.

While I can't say I have the OP's issues its been my expirance that the Airport updates are causing other issues for me.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine had similar problems recently and found that it was due to an Airport Extreme Update.

Try disabling Airport?
I disabled Airport and the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks!