Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 04-29-2015, 05:46 AM

Default "this action can cause loss of plugins in Pro Tools" after renaming a drive

Good morning. I recently attempted to rename my existing USB external recording drive,(E), in lieu of installing my new USB external drive. I probably should have just hooked up the new drive and let nature take it's course. Anyway, here's what happened. Now the E drive is named E\(j). I haven't been able to change it back and every time I try to open a Pro Tools session I get a warning that "this action can cause loss of plugins in Pro Tools" followed by a choice of opening the session or cancelling,(No, as in do not proceed, or Cancel). I'm in the middle of a session so, call me a gambler, I chose NO and opened the session. Lucky me. No loss of plug ins yet. I'm on PT's 9.0.6, Win 7. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what can I do to correct it?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 PM

Default Re: What the Hey!

Hmmmm, exactly how/where did you make this name change? And did your name change intend to change the drive letter as well?

To change the name of a drive, go to MyComputer, right-click on a drive and select Rename. To change a drive letter, right-click on MyComputer and select Manage. In the next window, select Disk Management. Right-click on a drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Then click the Change button(note that any letter that is currently being used, will not be available from the list).

a few things to remember, never use the letters A: or Bthey are reserved for floppy drives that nobody uses anymore), and C: is always used for the system(boot) drive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 AM

Thanks albee. I guess I didn't understand the semantics here! To me, The drive name is E. I didn't differentiate between changing the drive name or changing the drive letter! So, what your saying is that, now that I know the difference and, using your instructions which I thank you for, when I try to reassign a letter for the drive, E will not be available so I need to use another letter other than C,A, or B. Am I correct?
Thanks again,
Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
C: is always used for the system(boot) drive.
Not always! I have a multi-boot SSD, Win7x64 & XP 32-Bit,
XP is E: and works well, I also had Linux, but needed the space, erased the partition and increased the others.

Problem is when you clone a drive, and both have C:, second drive is disabled by Windows, if you enable, Windows will change the drive letter of all the partitions on that drive, and will not boot, because it was installed as a C:, and changing the drive letter does not change the Registry.
Fixing that problem is a nightmare, because Diskpart in Recovery Console CD/DVD cannot change the drive letter back to C:.
Better to erase & do a clean install.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks albee. I guess I didn't understand the semantics here! To me, The drive name is E. I didn't differentiate between changing the drive name or changing the drive letter! So, what your saying is that, now that I know the difference and, using your instructions which I thank you for, when I try to reassign a letter for the drive, E will not be available so I need to use another letter other than C,A, or B. Am I correct?
Thanks again,
Correct. Drive letters for a non-system drive can be changed most any time(with no programs running), but be careful(and sensible) as programs that need to "look at" another drive, like Pro Tools looking for audio or a recently-opened session, or a plugin that uses samples kept on a separate drive(my Superior Drummer sounds are kept on drive S:), you can find you need to relink stuff.

To Juan, I skipped over this for 2 reasons; 1-I know Terry likes to keep things simple, and 2-its not likely that a clone will be installed at the same time as the original I clone my system drives fairly often and have never had an issue(expect for the 1 time my office machine decided its system drive was drive F: and would never let me change it)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave