Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Default Whoopi! Studio Vision Pro works on 9.2.2 & 001

On a G-4 w/ that buggy Altivec!!!!

Can you believe it. Days and days of digitest errors and changing slot order taking cards out, open firmware (forgot what that was didn't you?)

Anyway. Written for 8.6 even USB Opcode MIDI driver works. I'm stoked. But if for some reason I try to startup Pro Tools a clean install of 5.1.1 it breaks the 001 card. 4 days more of this crap and I'll be committed.

What is the point? Consolidate tracks. Save to standardized MIDI.

QUESTION: So now I have to remove resource forks from everything. So do I use Pro Tools? Import and save enforce/mac etc? Do I then have to boot into Tiger or Panther then re-save?

I should convert the SD-1 and SD-2 files to wav. And use broadcast wav or?

Also. Since I am familiar with OMS and FreeMIDI but have not dealt at all with OS-X core midi how do I handle MIDI so that I have Standardized MIDI for either Tiger or Leopard PPC on PTs 7.4 and also PTs 8 on a W_7 ASUS quadcore?

Is there a trick app or something that Rip Van Winkle missed while dozing off? I have a lot of sequenced based songs recorded in SVP 4.2 as well older Vision stuff (just Midi) I need to bring out of legacy into a more modern system.

What is the best way to handle Core MIDI export to W_7 or XP? I plan on using PTs 8.1 and Reaper beta 64 bit. But to be honest. I have never even unzipped or installed any audio/MIDI app from W-95 on... never. I am flying blind here.

Can someone offer an old dawg in pain, forcing myself to sit here and type? Got to get back my creativity brothers and sisters. Lay it out for me.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Whoopi! Studio Vision Pro works on 9.2.2 & 001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
On a G-4 w/ that buggy Altivec!!!!

Can you believe it. Days and days of digitest errors and changing slot order taking cards out, open firmware (forgot what that was didn't you?)

Anyway. Written for 8.6 even USB Opcode MIDI driver works. I'm stoked. But if for some reason I try to startup Pro Tools a clean install of 5.1.1 it breaks the 001 card. 4 days more of this crap and I'll be committed.

What is the point? Consolidate tracks. Save to standardized MIDI.

QUESTION: So now I have to remove resource forks from everything. So do I use Pro Tools? Import and save enforce/mac etc? Do I then have to boot into Tiger or Panther then re-save?

I should convert the SD-1 and SD-2 files to wav. And use broadcast wav or?

Also. Since I am familiar with OMS and FreeMIDI but have not dealt at all with OS-X core midi how do I handle MIDI so that I have Standardized MIDI for either Tiger or Leopard PPC on PTs 7.4 and also PTs 8 on a W_7 ASUS quadcore?

Is there a trick app or something that Rip Van Winkle missed while dozing off? I have a lot of sequenced based songs recorded in SVP 4.2 as well older Vision stuff (just Midi) I need to bring out of legacy into a more modern system.

What is the best way to handle Core MIDI export to W_7 or XP? I plan on using PTs 8.1 and Reaper beta 64 bit. But to be honest. I have never even unzipped or installed any audio/MIDI app from W-95 on... never. I am flying blind here.

Can someone offer an old dawg in pain, forcing myself to sit here and type? Got to get back my creativity brothers and sisters. Lay it out for me.
I came across a link to StudioVision 2.5 here on the DUC and was suprised that it installed and seemed perfectly fine on XP SP3 (Windows Media Center 2005 Outlaw Edition). This app is/was way before my time and I don't have any need for it (or a clue how to use it) but I was surprised that it seemed to work just fine. From what I could tell its serial MIDI only I dont think it supports USB MIDI.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM

But anyway. Consolidate all tracks. Standard midi. Open Standard Midi up in Pro Tools n (Pray) and import audio and convert to wav. Broadcast or just wav? Then re-save.

But... MIDI OMS how to deal? I can enforce/pc mac compatiblilty for Pro Tools but what happens with OMS on windows since it doesn't exist?

It makes more sense for me to go up in stages. First to tiger or leopard. then to W-7 on Asus quad core. But I have no concept how freeMidi or OMS substitutes work in either OS-X or Windows?

I have been taking screenshots to refer back to but even this is tedius because OS-9 uses some bizaar unsupported pix file.

Any help please on the MIDI transferance?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 PM

I had Studio Vision Pro up to I think 4.5, and when it was done, i converted all of my songs to Standard MIDI Files. If you use SVP with the Queue feature to have verse, chorus, bridge, strung together, you'll need to capture sequence to have one continuous track.

I seem to remember several SMF options in SVP - I would try each one on a small piece and then see if it opens in your windows machine.

OMS - Windows MIDI - read your manual and it will tell you how to set it up. You may have to tweak track assignments, but it's a few minutes of work per track and not that bad.

Audio - capture the full length track as audio - you don't want strip silence as it will open up as 1 continuous AIFF track without the right timing in PT.

MIDI instruments - while you're at it, bounce them down in SVP to get them as audio tracks just in case.

And to be safe, bounce the entire SVP sequence down to stereo AIFF while you're at it to have a safety copy.

Good luck; there are other SVP sites with forums, including Gibson's site and other's on the web.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 AM

This brings back memories. I spent many many hours in SVP during the 1990s. So sad when it and OMS went away.

I don't understand the MIDI questions. A Standard MIDI File will play on anything. I've exported SMFs from SVP on Mac and imported them into PT and many other programs on both Mac and PC. It's just MIDI. It doesn't care about platform. Export MIDI to SMF from any program on any platform, copy to any system, import into any audio program, reassign each track to an appropriate instrument, end of story.

When you copy a file from Mac to Windows, the resource forks are stripped automatically. You don't need any special software, just some way to transfer the files from OS9 to XP. A USB flash drive, ftp, email attachment, CD-R, something like that.

WAV is WAV. Broadcast WAV just allows more metadata. If SVP can write BWF, fine, but it's not necessary. Plain WAVs will work just as well.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM

As far as I know, FreeMIDI and OMS have nothing to do with using Pro Tools or Reaper on any platform. Whatever Pro Tools interface you use will be your MIDI interface. Set up your MIDI Studio in PT (under the Setup menu), and you're ready to go.

Gosh, I miss the Studio 5. And SVP's MIDI editing capabilities. Holy cow. There is nothing - nothing like it anymore.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:02 AM

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/opcodeusers/

The Opcode Users Group is still quite active and some people on there (Doug Dayson in particular) have extensive experience with SVP, Pro Tools and migrating to more current (as in "still living") software.

In the meantime, the advice you're getting here is great! I would suggest saving your audio as .wav (in 24 bits if you can). You should consider saving the audio as interleaved stereo -- PT can import multiple mono (left and right channel) files, but some other programs may have problems. (Of course, I'm thinking of iTunes and the like here, not so much pro audio programs)

Also, make note of your MIDI destinations and patches. I found the MIDI files I made from SVP to sometimes be a bit mangled when it came to exporting the text; I ended up having to go back and refer to the original SVP projects to be sure I had the right instruments going... You could take screen shots of the tracks overview.

Another thought -- if you're going to a newer computer (a G5 or even a Mac Pro, and I notice you mention Windows 7, so a PC), why not keep the G4 and Vision as a MIDI machine? Vision's MIDI is still awesome and it has features I haven't seen anywhere else (like being able to find and edit multiple events in the same dialog box, and replace anything in a track with anything on the clipboard -- like MIDI drum hits with drum samples...).

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmansfield View Post
and migrating to more current (as in "still living") software.
If on life support. ahem.

But seriously, great pointers!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Quick way to make note of your SVP settings on tracks - take a screen shot (apple shift 4) to capture your current settings as a picture. save it in the folder with each song.

Make sure to notate each patch setting(s) as I found that this sometimes translated well, and sometimes not.

I also found that while I had saved volume (cc7) info in my SVP files, I had to strip this out after importing into PT to just use the faders instead; I'm sure there's a way to translate MIDI volume to fader moves, but considering that in the time I moved to PT from SVP I got new monitors and generally was rethinking each of the songs I had done, was worth remixing. Of course, you can always cut the volume movements out and paste to an empty MIDI track and make it inactive to preserve (or duplicate the original tracks and make them inactive)

Don't know about the Win side, but on the Mac I was able to add my own patch names for my ESQ-M by modifying an existing ESQ-1 patch name list and modifying the device list as well - I'm sure there are better explanations on setting up your synth patch names under windows.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Thank you all for your answers. Regarding simpletext image conversion. Tucows has a free download of BME 3.02. I haven't tried it because I have only fat 32 thumb drives and OS-9 will not read em. I do have Tiger on that machine but I'm afraid to jinx it. SVP working fine. No digitest errors on 001 now. But I will sneaker net it over there somehow. The idea is to convert screenshots (of track assignments) and convert simpletext screenshots to jpeg or gif and stick in Song folder for archive) Also. I think this is a good reference for some people who like Rip Van Winkle woke up to find the world had changed. I have MusicShop as it came on my Opcode USB midiport 32 disk. I think it runs on windows. So, since I don't have the quad-core rig running I will try it and post back. I am still at a loss how the MicroExpress port tree (6 Midi outs) will be handled on Windows or Core MIDI will Core MIDI just open up the FreeMidi setup or OMS setup (unfortunately I have many, Studio 3, Studio 64) like many of you I have been at this for a long time. Yes, saw the little fellers bowling and... don't know what happened.