Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Presets Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
not to look a gift horse in the mouth but...

i know i asked this before Benoni, but is there a way you could NOT use a tube screamer as part of your amp model?

for those that don't know why i ask this: a tube screamer alters the tone before the distortion/amp stage, which in effect changes your pickups. this is fine if the clip he listened to also used a tube screamer. but if the clip in question used only the amp and no distortion pedal, then turning down your guitar volume will react/sound nothing like the real amp. i hope this makes sense.

i am grateful for the new presets, especially since i am one that asked for the Splawn amp presets. but if i could be as bold as to make one more request...i would ask that you make one preset without the tube screamer, just for us purists.

thanks again Benoni.
The Splawn amps for the most part dont really use the distortion, just the tone. I use the Tube Screamer as a front end EQ more than a distortion box. I could put an EQ up front, but then -since we are limited to 2 eq's - there wont be enough "slots" to change the frequencies that will need to be boosted and cut.

Also a frequency analyzer does not take into account "feel", I was going for the end result of the sound, the feel may differ somewhat.

I probably wont re-do them - at least no until the next expansion pack, but I can direct you to some high quality Splawn Nitro clips and if you dont know how, tell you how to extract the audio from the video then import it into PT.

No worries man, if you dont like them, you dont like them, the world keeps on turnin' - I make these for me first anyway, and if others like them, even better

EDIT:
Quote:
but if the clip in question used only the amp and no distortion pedal, then turning down your guitar volume will react/sound nothing like the real amp
Turn DOWN guitar volume? Im a metal head, what is this?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

JCM-800 2203KK

This is based on a Kerry King amp model - JCM-800 2203KK

The sample I built this from had Kerry playing the amp himself.

I did add more bass than he used, because it sounded to thin for my taste.
You can adjust GAIN, BASS, MID, TREBLE, and PRESENCE as you wish and still retain the main frequency response.

I used the DC Modern 800 amp and 4X12 Classic 30 cab, but it also sounds pretty killer with the 4X12 Green 20W

JCM-800 2203KK - Sound Sample

JCM-800 2203KK - DOWNLOAD

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Thx for the Hagen, Benoni!

I like V30 version!

Well done!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
but if the clip in question used only the amp and no distortion pedal, then turning down your guitar volume will react/sound nothing like the real amp
"Turning down your guitar volume" ... logic error, system failure, shutting down...

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM

yep, i'm old school 80's. back in the day, we used our guitar volume control to get a clean sound. we didn't use midi or channel switching. the hottest amp was a marshall jcm800. we would turn up the gain until you could just barely get a clean sound with your guitar volume down to bare minimum, then we would add a pedal to push it into higher gain for leads. that was it! so only certain amp types would work in that way. if it wasn't based on a fender design (marshall was) then you couldn't get that to work. a Splawn is based on that same type of design, so to get that feel you would have to use something like a Soldano model to get the feel and gain level to match. Mesa was one of the first popular amps to break with that type of preamp section. so you would have to use at least the rectifier vintage channel to get close to the Splawn tone.

back in the early rack days i made a good living tweaking other people's rigs. the process was simple: start with the guitar volume almost off and get the clean tone right. from there, crank it up and eq the final tone to taste.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 AM

Cool stuff Benoni

It's always nice to see the Eleven Rack Presets thread pop up and see you've posted some new presets!

So many to choose I feel like a kid in a candy store ...
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I probably wont re-do them - at least no until the next expansion pack, but I can direct you to some high quality Splawn Nitro clips and if you dont know how, tell you how to extract the audio from the video then import it into PT.
Ok, I'm listening

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Ok, I'm listening
Sure thing mate:

This is a well recorded high quality video of the Splawn Nitro. Make sure to download the 720P version for the highest quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkXopfsEDoo

check the guys youtube channel for more high quality demos.

Be sure to take into account what mic or mics are used in the video, I believe he uses several mics for most videos.

You can either download the youtube video using Realplayer, or a download manager like JDownloader, just make sure you choose the highest quality 720p version.

Both Realplayer and Jdownloader are free.

Once downloaded you can convert the video into audio or import the video and audio together into PT, then delete the video track unless you think you will need it.

I just convert the video to audio only using a converter, if you already have a converter then use that, if not - then download RealPlayer, it comes with a free converter that can convert the video to another format, or convert it to audio only, which is what I do. WMA works fine for me.

Then just drag the audio file into PT and drop it in the Regions bin or into a track, listen for a good spot to "model" from, and set your loop, I usually use a really short section like a couple seconds.

Then either use your ear only, or place a freq. analyzer on the track and on your guitar track/11R track, and start trying to match the frequency response.

Playing the same riff is not necessary, but can be helpful - although if you are listening from a section where the 5th and 6th strings are used, dont try to model from the 1st and 2nd strings of your guitar.

Most amps will have noticeable peaks and valleys that really make up the meat of the tone, focus on those first, then adjust to get closer to the real deal - or forget being accurate and go for what you like - there are no rules.

I have not used this, but here is a free frequency analyzer:

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products...t_FreqAnalyst/

or download the whole free plug in pack:

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products..._FreewarePack/

I like the Waves PAZ

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=233 its $120 by itself though, its best to get it in a package like the Silver bundle or higher, and it needs an iLok.

Realplayer:
http://www.real.com/

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Sure thing mate:
Well, I think I know what I'll be doing for most of next week .

Thanks Benoni!!!

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM

http://soundcloud.com/singtall/splawn-nitro

i made three versions of the amp sound using three different amps. tried to find one with a close feel when volume control on guitar is rolled down. tried to emulate overdrive one. kick in distortion pedal for second overdrive/lead. i also set up some delay and even a chorus/stereo spread for those that want it.

i was inspired by Benoni to try making these presets. i ripped the youtube video and imported the audio into sonar. i used waves analyzer to try to get the eq right, but i found that it only marginally helped me. i still have an easier time getting the sound by ear, but it was fun trying a new approach.