Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-04-2005, 11:50 AM

Default QT files out from a Canopus converter

Maybe someone could help me on this...

Is there any way to send QT video signal through a Canopus ADC110 converter out of my G5 without having to import video to a PT session???

I want to use QT as a player to send video to a tv monitor, but I can't figure it how configure Quicktime.

Thanks in advance.

Sebastian
Old 11-04-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: a Canopus converter - CAUTIONS!!!

not that I know of....

and it needs to be Quicktime DV to work - if it is only Quicktime (non DV) use quicktime pro ($30) to convert the file - a SLOW process....

AND BE SURE TO NEVER PLUG THE REAR FW PORT on the CANOPUS MODEL 100 TO YOUR COMPUTER WITH IT TURNED ON - IT CAN SMOKE YOUR FIREWIRE PORT -

best options - use the model 100 (black) (or the white model 110) with a proper power supply, and ONLY use the front 4 pin FW port + cable (doesnt carry any lethal voltages)

- DO NOT use the rear FW port on the Canopus - it can carry a lethal spike if you hot plug it. It is this way as the port is DV compliant FW spec - but not OHCI compliant - it gets cleaner video signal in this way, but DON'T HOT PLUG IT!!!!

and consider putting a $15 PCI to FW card in your G5 - that is good as it gives a separate clean FW port for the Canopus to use, and you can't blow up your G5 FW card...... and it can be good to isolate the Canopus from any FW drives.....

Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: QT files out from a Canopus converter

Quote:
Maybe someone could help me on this...

Is there any way to send QT video signal through a Canopus ADC110 converter out of my G5 without having to import video to a PT session???

I want to use QT as a player to send video to a tv monitor, but I can't figure it how configure Quicktime.

Thanks in advance.

Sebastian
A Firewire port will only "talk" in DV video format (like a DV camcorder). It's a fixed data rate of about 3.6 MB/sec, and the compression is done already, as in the camcorder itself. There is a specific quicktime video format that's equivalent and compatible with that, but otherwise QT isn't. Most QT video one finds is compressed to various degrees anywhere from high quality full screen down to tiny ultra-low bitrate mini-windows. None of them will play out of a FW port except for the DV compatible one, and thus the Canopus box won't work. To play QT-specific video out to a TV monitor you'll need a QT converter PCI card. Various companies make them, probably including some other Canopus models, but also Pinnacle and others. They've been around for a long time.

As far as playing DV video via FW/Canopus out to a TV monitor without using PT or another DAW, I'd iimagine there's a way, but I don't know of one. Unless QT player itself has a menu somewhere indicating an output path to firewire, or it defaults to it, then it probabgly can't (again, be sure you're playing DV format compatible QT). I'd be surprised to find that there are no stand alone apps that can do this though, but I've been surpised before. Perhaps someone else here knows of such an application. Also, if using PT to get the job done is your only alternative then it's really not such a hardship. The steps involved in opening a blank PT session and importing a DV movie for FW playback are pretty few and pretty quick.

Lastly, please heed the warnings about hot plugging the Canopus. It can be deadly to the FW buss.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 AM

If you just want to try your canopus without using Protools you can use Imovie and play your movie out the firewire port.
You can also export a full quialty DV from IMovie and then work with it on Protools once your sure that your Canopus is working.
WE
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
If you just want to try your canopus without using Protools you can use Imovie and play your movie out the firewire port.
There you go. Of course, Final Cut Pro/Express will do it too.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 AM

Thanks for all the information.

Is there any 'vtr kinda remote control' software available for mac osx?

I'm intending to use video files from outside PT sessions, sending timecode through G5 audio line outputs to LTC in of my sync IO. This way, I won't have to deal with huge DV files (using mpg files on Imovie), but also I'd like to do it without switching between applicattions.

An small remote control or media player will be usefull.

Any ideas?

Thanks