Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 05-13-2002, 05:07 AM

Default 5 minute song 540 MB disk space- more economic way of recording?

I recorded a 5 min. song with 7 tracks and the session now is 540 MB.
Most MB: the Subdirectory Audio-File that contains 45 files.
Is there a more economic way of recording to save disk space ?
Any advice to reduce data-size ?

Thanks for help !
Old 05-15-2002, 06:09 AM

Default Re: 5 minute song 540 MB disk space- more economic way of recording?

Producing music needs much space. Generaly you can say that one minute of one track is about 10-15MB (depends on sample and bit rate). 15MBx7tracksx5min=525MB

By processing audio new files will be created and stored in your session/audio files folder.

On the right side of your screen you see the loaded files of your session. click on the small "audio" button and search for the "select" button. then search the "select unused" button, then you can either remove selected/unused files from your session or, to win some space on the disk, delete unused files from your disk. But be really shure that you really don´t need them!!! They will be gone forever!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-17-2002, 04:54 AM

Thanks !
Great help !

Quote:
Originally posted by clausiii:
Producing music needs much space. Generaly you can say that one minute of one track is about 10-15MB (depends on sample and bit rate). 15MBx7tracksx5min=525MB

By processing audio new files will be created and stored in your session/audio files folder.

On the right side of your screen you see the loaded files of your session. click on the small "audio" button and search for the "select" button. then search the "select unused" button, then you can either remove selected/unused files from your session or, to win some space on the disk, delete unused files from your disk. But be really shure that you really don´t need them!!! They will be gone forever!
Old 05-21-2002, 12:57 AM

This is how i do it with ptle:

I make a copy of the session from within protools with "save session-copy in" from the file-menu. Make sure you check the box that says" copy all audio-files". You dont have to copy your fade-files, as protools will recreate these if they are missing (saves some more space...).

I do it like this and not from within windows to make sure only the files from this session are copied and to make sure the session points to the new files, and not the old ones.

close the current session and open the session-copy. Go and have a look at the new file-locations to check if they are indeed on the new location!

Remove any empty or unwanted audio from the session with the i-beam in slip-mode.

In the region-window in the edit-window select all unused regions(not the "unused regions except while files"), and do a "clear selected".

Do a save

again in the region-list, select all, and do a compact selected. This will remove (DELETE, GONE FOREVER) all the audio not used in the session.

Now burn this one to disk, or move it to your "have for keeps" folder.

Using this method will prevent you from corrupting your original session when doing a "compacting". My computer has some problems with copying a lot of large files. It tends to crash while doing that and leave all the files corrupted and unusable.

So make a copy, throw away the audio you dont need in that session, compact your selection, and after opening the session and checked it to see if it really is all there, you can delete your original session, including its own fade-files and audio-files folder.

Bastiaan