Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Re: PT 2019.10 inbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Before this thread descends. Just remember that people use PT for different reasons, and different workflows need attention at different points in time. If you aren't happy with the way things are going, jump ship! No one is stopping you, the grass might even be greener .. ? Who knows? This forum won't fix your dissatisfaction, only you can.

In my case, Pro Tools provides me with 100% of my annual income. For the measly fee of $399 annually, I'm able to live very comfortably. *Not to mention that fee is deductible. Pro Tools doesn't owe me anything, I pay for the service because it's an essential part of running the business.

Now, back to complaining!
^+1
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 10-30-2019, 03:49 AM

For me, I agree. I jumped ship three years ago and couldn't be happier. For me, the grass really is greener. I'm much happier now. But I'm in a position where I could switch. Lots of people can't switch because they need the ability to interact with other PT studios and users. For them, Avid's unwillingness to devote proper resources to fix and improve PT is frustrating as they continue to pay. They complain because they are not getting what they are paying for. For example, keeping up with Apple's OS changes.

Quote:

If you aren't happy with the way things are going, jump ship! No one is stopping you, the grass might even be greener .. ? Who knows? This forum won't fix your dissatisfaction, only you can.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:57 AM

I tried switching to Digital Performer back when Avid started the subscription monkey business. Suffered through the usual new program learning curve and decided it wasn't worth the hassle, especially giving up true instrument tracks and some of the other stuff DP does differently with regards to OSX conventions than say PT. Then there's the whole cluttered gui thing and small fonts in DP.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side. Was glad I kept PT installed and just a few months back upgraded from PT 11.3.2 to 2019.6 and haven't been happier. I don't do all that much video work, mainly forensics on the audio so the vagaries of AVE don't come into play for me like they do for other people.

QAPLA!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
In my case, Pro Tools provides me with 100% of my annual income. For the measly fee of $399 annually, I'm able to live very comfortably. *Not to mention that fee is deductible. Pro Tools doesn't owe me anything, I pay for the service because it's an essential part of running the business.
That's nothing more than making excuses for Avid's ineptitude, and I realize that that's the motive the second someone suggests 'if you don't like it, leave,' as though sticking around and trying to promote a better product isn't an option we've earned. I wonder if you switch sports teams each time they disappoint. Probably not. I imagine that you yell and moan at the coach or administration and even have suggestions about how they could improve. And that probably feels rational as compared to just switching teams, away from one you're emotionally invested in.

We are HEAVILY financially invested in Avid platforms. In a sense, trapped. Yes, most of us can handle the $399/year (we pay over $2,000/year for the subscription). But what you seem to be forgetting, or are simply allowing to occur in order to justify these actions, is that Avid promised a LOT more activity from their New Features department when this subscription thing began, yet today's version is hardly improved over that from a couple years ago, and is in some ways less reliable. They've not delivered on their promise, plain and simple. And this year they ignored the product with incredible disregard. If you're fine with that, great. But that has no domain over our right as paying customers to demand what we paid for, and the suggestion that we should pack our bags and move on is just ridiculous! I don't like people taking advantage of my company and we will certainly not change our MO, and there's no chance that we'll be hushed by someone whose ability to accept a near breach of contract far outweighs our ambitions for ProTools to become the product that was promised.

You're happy. Honestly, that's wonderful. But keep the preaching to yourself as, apparently, this isn't a fight in which you have any interest or role.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
For me, I agree. I jumped ship three years ago and couldn't be happier. For me, the grass really is greener. I'm much happier now. But I'm in a position where I could switch. Lots of people can't switch because they need the ability to interact with other PT studios and users. For them, Avid's unwillingness to devote proper resources to fix and improve PT is frustrating as they continue to pay. They complain because they are not getting what they are paying for. For example, keeping up with Apple's OS changes.
That's a rigid and concrete argument, Dean. Some people lack the ability to recognize that their situation is only their situation and that everyone else has a different model and investment. Honestly, the lack of compassion and myopathy can be mind-numbing. Though, in the "me me me" culture, it's not surprising.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I wonder if you switch sports teams each time they disappoint. Probably not. I imagine that you yell and moan at the coach or administration and even have suggestions about how they could improve. And that probably feels rational as compared to just switching teams, away from one you're emotionally invested in.
I don't watch sport, sorry.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I don't watch sport, sorry.
Not even the All Blacks?
Rugby team for those who don't know.

QAPLA!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I wonder if you switch sports teams each time they disappoint.
My hockey team won the title in 1985, lost finals in 1998, third in 2001 and no medals ever since. Still supporting.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
great - but why do you waste your time in the avid community????
Old 10-30-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not even the All Blacks?
Rugby team for those who don't know.
Yeah, I've just never been into sport. In any degree. Rugby culture is quite toxic, and I try my very best to avoid it.