How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
... you simply put it all on PCIe internal SSD. Why would anybody buying such a high-end system at this price point attach SATA anything except for backup/archive. A 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD is only $570. A couple of those on a PCIe adapter card plus the internal boot SSD(s) and you are done. ... and SSD prices will likely continue decreasing.

Unless you want 6 HDX cards, of course. But that's not me. Can you recommend PCIe SSD adapters?
Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Apple Keynote going

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
True. But hey, all of us want to be streaming three 8K videos right?
wow complaining about too much power?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Unless you want 6 HDX cards, of course. But that's not me. Can you recommend PCIe SSD adapters?
I would wait and see what adapter cards are available and packaged for the new Mac Pro.

You can use any single M.2 PCIe 3 adapter card, and it will just work... in a 4 lane or larger electrical slot for optimal performance.

Avoid any multi M.2 card adapters that do RAID on the card.

The new Mac Pro should support flexible lane bifurcation/mapping so will allow support for multi-M.2 Card adapters that just let each M.2 daughter card talk to separate four PCIe lanes, but let’s wait and see what adapter cards become available for the Mac Pro.

I expect multi-card adapters will have M.2 card cooling customized for the Mac Pro. Should still be reasonably priced fairly dumb cards.

HDX6 users can use Thunderbolt NVMe drives, nominally the same performance as internal M.2 cards if you dedicate a Thunderbolt bus to each one and in reality most users can probably stack a few if needed. Still inelegant, and you want to keep them cool if doing lots of IO. And find a USB-C cable lock solution, I hate the lack of that on my Samsung X5... nice NVMe external disk performance that is far too easy to knock offline.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I would wait and see what adapter cards are available and packaged for the new Mac Pro.

Thanks Darryl!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The humour is people not realizing what 1.5TB of RAM in only 12 slots will cost per stick.

All the benchmarks on Apple are with 32GB x 12 sticks. Not the insanely priced 128GB x 12 sticks.
You can configure a HP Z8 workstation with 1.5TB of ram - $45k just for the memory option. Apple's never been shy, so probably a touch more for the MP.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvh View Post
wow complaining about too much power?
In the context of wanting PCI slots in a headless tower to run an HDX system... yes- it's like if the only car you could buy was a $300,000 sports car, but you just want to commute to work.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The proprietary SSD is not different than what Apple has done on every other "M.2" like SSD they have shipped.

I have not seen anything that implies disk *must* be encrypted.

The Mac Pro has oodles of PCIe slots, power and cooling. You take as many PCIe adapter cards as you want and stuff them full of 1TB or 2TB M.2 cards (or maybe other form factor PCIe SSDs, like the "rulers" that multiple vendors have). The one thing this computer should not have is lack of storage. Folks consuming all PCIe slots, OK you may have a challenge... so options include Thunderbolt3 attached storage.

Lots of larger places will have storage on a NAS with working download/caching on the SSD, or direct to disk cache. The primary driver of that won't be lack of storage on a these Mac's, it will be asset management, integrity and security.
I DID mention "Slot Based" expansion option and external enclosures. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-07-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
... you simply put it all on PCIe internal SSD. Why would anybody buying such a high-end system at this price point attach SATA anything except for backup/archive. A 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD is only $570. A couple of those on a PCIe adapter card plus the internal boot SSD(s) and you are done. ... and SSD prices will likely continue decreasing.
"ONLY $570"? LOL!

I just have an issue with spending a minimum of $6K for a base machine and THEN having to spend MORE $ for "cards" just to get more "disk space". :)

Someone earlier mentioned a card for those drives running at $400 & holds 4 drives. Total cost for that card and the 4 drives you mentioned is almost $2,700...close to 50% the cost of the Mac itself.

Nuts! :)

A top of the line Enterprise level 8TB SATA III HD goes for $265.

To each his own!

www.LightWingStudios.com

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post

A top of the line Enterprise level 8TB SATA III HD goes for $265.

To each his own!
And that's a 7200 rpm spinner which is a waste of the resources possible in the new cheesegrater. Why introduce a performance chokepoint?

QAPLA!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And that's a 7200 rpm spinner which is a waste of the resources possible in the new cheesegrater. Why introduce a performance chokepoint?
Balancing performance against cost/price. The 8TB is 10% the cost of what the other member proposed. If money is no object then have at it. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com