Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Default setting the "output to amps" outputs to "rig no cab" affected also the (xlr) outputs!

hi, on stage I had my amp to be used as monitor so I 've pressed edit for 2-3 seconds opening the USER options. then I've choosen "outputs to amps" then output 1&2 setting them to "rig no cab".
FOR WHAT I UNDERSTOOD THE MAIN XLR OUPUTS SHOULDN'T BE AFFECTED...instead the same sound was outside in the PA so I had to choose Rig output. It's the same for the headphones as well..
Is it my mistake or there is something wrong?
help please
Enrico
www.karnataka.org.uk
Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Default Re: setting the "output to amps" outputs to "rig no cab" affected also the (xlr) outp

Any time you set them to "Rig out no cab" you're basically disabling the cabs completely. The only way to currently keep cab sims on in the XLR and of in the Outputs To Amp is to use the Amp out option.

There's been plenty of talk about separating the Amp and Cab blocks...if that was ever implemented it would make it easier to use 11r in the manner you're trying to use it. We'll see if it ever comes to fruition....
Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Re: setting the "output to amps" outputs to "rig no cab" affected also the (xlr) outp

"The only way to currently keep cab sims on in the XLR and of in the Outputs To Amp is to use the Amp out option."
that's what i actually did but it doesn't work... also I saw a youtube avid video about the live setting and the guy says clearly that nothing will be affected on the xlr outputs...here's the link .I did like scenario 3 and it changed also the sound on the PA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tPgAtQ_i4A
Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 AM

the video is wrong.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM

thanks mate....sh.........it!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 PM

well...it is not literally wrong...it's just not very precise...Shawn doesn't say that switching on or off the cab sim can be done individually for Amp Out and XLR outs. But neither does he say that they're just one setting so if you go to "Rig out no cab" the cab sim is turned off on the XLRs as well. And that is the case.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmf View Post
well...it is not literally wrong...it's just not very precise...Shawn doesn't say that switching on or off the cab sim can be done individually for Amp Out and XLR outs. But neither does he say that they're just one setting so if you go to "Rig out no cab" the cab sim is turned off on the XLRs as well. And that is the case.
Isnt this the video where he states that the Main Outs/XLR Output "are always sending the entire rig, no matter what; there's nothing to configure. Amp modeling, speakers, everything"

I guess we could discuss the definition of a "entire rig" or does "wrong" really apply, but that would be subordinate to your definition of 'rig' and whether or not the 'rig' implies to the casual listener/watcher as including the cabinet.

What if I said "inaccurate" instead of 'wrong'? Would you accept that?

The video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tPgAtQ_i4A

And that above statement takes place at around 1:50

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM

I would say wrong.

If not a bug, a flaw in design IMO.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredo View Post
I would say wrong.

If not a bug, a flaw in design IMO.
Not so much a bug or flaw in design, but a limitation of the hardware, and to some degree, a poorly named setting.

Without going into detail, in order to have the XLRs at full rig and the 1/4" at "rig Out No Cab" means two signal paths: one path has to be Pre-FX>Amp>Cab>Mic>Post-FX, and the other path has to be Pre-FX>Amp>Post-FX. Processing two signal paths simultaneously is something the 11R can't do.

OTOH, choosing "Amp Output" for one of the 1/4" outs works differently. It leaves the signal path to be processed as Pre-FX>Amp>Cab>Mic>Post-FX, but grabs the signal for that 1/4" output from the output of the amp sim block, and before the Cab, Mic, and all Post-FX.

Confused yet? I was until I read an official Avid explanation. :)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Not so much a bug or flaw in design, but a limitation of the hardware, and to some degree, a poorly named setting.

Without going into detail, in order to have the XLRs at full rig and the 1/4" at "rig Out No Cab" means two signal paths: one path has to be Pre-FX>Amp>Cab>Mic>Post-FX, and the other path has to be Pre-FX>Amp>Post-FX. Processing two signal paths simultaneously is something the 11R can't do.

OTOH, choosing "Amp Output" for one of the 1/4" outs works differently. It leaves the signal path to be processed as Pre-FX>Amp>Cab>Mic>Post-FX, but grabs the signal for that 1/4" output from the output of the amp sim block, and before the Cab, Mic, and all Post-FX.

Confused yet? I was until I read an official Avid explanation. :)
It depends on how you look at it. All Avid has to do is put the cab at the end of the chain, like every other modeler that has the capability to. Put the cab at the end, and have the "amp out no cab" feature just grab the signal before the cab.