Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2000, 09:53 PM

Default anyone backing up to DVD-ram?

Just wondering how it's going. I'm ordering
my G4 in a few days and would like to get
some feedback. Thanks.

haze
Old 02-18-2000, 11:41 PM

Default Re: anyone backing up to DVD-ram?

I'm about to start but heres some trial by fire advice. I bought the SCSI DVD-RAM and it came with an adaptec 2906 scsi card.
I could not get that thing to work. First it didn't recognise. When I downloaded the drivers it recognized the SCSI card but none of the devices on it. From what I hear if you go SCSI, go with a better SCSI card, if you have the money. But what i did (and should have done from the start) is I spent a couple more bucks (a lot less than one of those really expensive SCSI Cards) and went Firewire DVD-RAM and CD-RW. it's a MAC G4 proven device unlike many SCSI cards. The downside to this story is i ordered my Firewire DVD-RAM and CD-RW 2 weeks ago and there both still on backorder. You cant win em all, but i have been reassured that this is definitly the way to go. ( or so my research has led me to believe). As soon as i get it going i would be happy to tell you how it runs.
good luck, Oh yeah im running the 001 on a G4350 256Mram and it runs great.
Old 02-19-2000, 03:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by haze:
Just wondering how it's going. I'm ordering
my G4 in a few days and would like to get
some feedback. Thanks.

haze
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The built in DVD RAM drive in my G4 works pretty well. No problems, it can be kind of slow, but not terrible.

Convenient though and DVD RAM is reasonable in cost.

Old 01-01-2002, 04:03 PM

Generally the time I back up to DVD-RAM is at night after working long and hard on a lot of edits when the project has outgrown a couple CD's. I drag the whole thing to my DVD-RAM disk and turn out the light. When I have more time or the project is complete, I can burn CD-archives (or whatever) of the various important files, knowing that if at any point something had gone wrong, I could have returned to my DVD-RAM copy to grab the damaged/missing files. I have never needed to use them with this method, but they offer a level a reassurance. I wouldn't archive on them permanently, partly because DVD-RAM drives are relatively rare compared with other data storage methods.
myspace
Old 01-01-2002, 04:36 PM

Our G-4 dual 800 quicksilver does DVD ram back up excellent, and, although Apple does not support it, will also work with DVD Re-writables.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:28 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Super Drive inside of mac is DVD-RW so that it is not good at burning Data CD (like back Up CD) and good for making DVD movie to play back with any type of DVD player.
DVD+RW is newer model (very few models in the market so far I think) and good about making data CD.
I found this info. at SONY's homepage long time ago.
Is this true?
Old 01-05-2002, 12:17 AM

Hi, i have a Beige G3 MT overclocked to 501mhz, OS 9.04, PTLE 5.1 640 MBo'ram..
DVD-RAM scsi drive, its a MATSU****A..(panasonic)
It works great, uses 9.4 double sided, 5.2 double and single sided 4.7 and 2.6 gig type I and II disc.
This drive is hooked up to the internal 50 pin scsi bus on the Beige, one of the last Macs to come equiped w/ scsi....its pretty slow, but i am a project home studio, so i have nothing but time [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I am LUCKY if it transfers @ 2mbps. Usally 1.5mbps.
I have burned DVD-RAM disc and sent them to my keyboard playa in NY, and he has no trouble loading up the sessions on his G4 500
W/ the built in superdrive.
Mine i got @ www.macgurus.com
also i had to purchase CD/DVD Speedtools from Intech software to get it to work...no biggie [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

rock

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-05-2002, 09:19 AM

s.d. finley, I was wondering what brand of DVD-RAM media you are using. A Panasonic 9.4 gb disk is $40-$50, but I found some generic in bulk that come out to $20 a disk. Haven't tried them yet. Any input on the reliability of the cheaper disks? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:29 AM

Try this place, www.supermediastore.com

Houtan, is a pretty inexpensive brand, these guys always have deals and they are the cheapest i have found.

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-05-2002, 09:30 AM

where02190,
Are you burning the DVD-RAM and RW through the superdrive or an external DVD drive?