Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Default Tempo change ruins midi grid

Hi, I'm at the end of my tether so I am hoping someone can help.

Digidesign couldn't help and now the case is closed!

In a nutshell if I work on a project and choose to change the tempo later on, when I program midi, many notes simply won't play or can't be selected to the grid.

I made a video for digidesign to demonstate the problem.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3569o22ffkA

I've done all the trashing of presets etc but it keeps happening.

It's causing insane problems.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jake

PT 10.2.0 - Macbook Pro - Lion 10.7.3 - MBox 2
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Tempo change ruins midi grid

Sorry to bump this up but still plagued by the problem can anyone help at all?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Strange - I tried to reproduce it - in manual tempo and conductor mode. Couldn't.

I'm working pretty often with tempo changes which needs enabled conductor tracks to be able to work with the tempo ruler. Never had problems.
Also never had problems changing tempo in manual tempo mode.

Did you try in both timebase modes: Sample based and ticks based ?

Sorry - could be a OS specific problem.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8

Last edited by Hanswurstlsepp; 11-21-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: adding the bold stuff
Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Hey Steff,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I have tried both sample and tick based modes and the problem persists. It seems once a session falls victim to the problem there is no going back. Afterwords, every time I try and write some midi notes, a large amount of them wont play properly and expanding and trimming regions just has a mind of it's own.

Very bizarre. I've seen a few other users complain about the first note not being selectable but not with the other problems I'm getting.

As a last resort I am going to reformat my machine back and reinstall Pro Tools 10 then add plug ins one at a time.

Hmm!

Wondering what combination of OSX Lion version and Pro Tools 10 version might be most stable? Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digisnake View Post
Hey Steff,

Thanks for taking time to reply.
NP :)
Quote:
I have tried both sample and tick based modes and the problem persists. It seems once a session falls victim to the problem there is no going back. Afterwords, every time I try and write some midi notes, a large amount of them wont play properly and expanding and trimming regions just has a mind of it's own.

Very bizarre. I've seen a few other users complain about the first note not being selectable but not with the other problems I'm getting.
Yes - but the 1st note problem is imo always related to having the 1st note not really correct at the "1" though the MidiEditor looks like it. It often depends on the Prefs Setting "Display Events as Modified..." and realtime properties by itself and some other factors.
So I would say this has nothing to do with your tempo problem.

Quote:
As a last resort I am going to reformat my machine back and reinstall Pro Tools 10 then add plug ins one at a time.

Hmm!

Wondering what combination of OSX Lion version and Pro Tools 10 version might be most stable? Any ideas?
Reformatting and installing from scratch without using migration assistant is always a good idea. For the sake of security I would make a clone of the SystemHD (using CarbonCopyClober etc.).

I'm using OSX10.7.4 on both of my Macs in the studio. Works perfectly fine. No problems. Very rare crashes.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM

I've just done a complete re-format/lion installation/pro tools installation and the problem still occurs.

I can't believe this is only happening on my machine? I've installed literally nothing else! Does no one else get the same problem?

Pencil some notes. Change the tempo. Trim function then doesn't work properly at all.

Pretty confused right now. Not sure what else to try. Can't contact Avid and they were no help when I tried. All I can think of is selling my current setup and going back to Pro Tools 7.2 on Leopard!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Mmm, experimenting with it - it seems Pro Tools really doesn't like tempo 130. Possibly other tempos.

Even without doing anything and immediately going to tempo 130, then writing midi notes, then trimming them - it's the same problem.

Messed around with other tempos, such as 140 and it's fine. Weird.

Any ideas?!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Well I've worked it out (I think). Oh dear.

The grid was set to Bars|Beats but the timer wasn't. It was set to Mins:Secs (which I believe is the default). Seems too simple to be true. Changed the timer to Bars|Beats and it seems a lot more happy. For now!

Pro Tools midi does not like the timer being set to anything other than Bars|Beats. This should be completely separate to the sequencing grid!! Avid please sort this out in the next update - it's a total joke.

Thanks. (Cheers for your help Steff!)
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Well I've worked it out (I think). Oh dear.

The grid was set to Bars|Beats but the timer wasn't. It was set to Mins:Secs (which I believe is the default). Seems too simple to be true. Changed the timer to Bars|Beats and it seems a lot more happy. For now!

Pro Tools midi does not like the timer being set to anything other than Bars|Beats. This should be completely separate to the sequencing grid!! Avid please sort this out in the next update - it's a total joke.

Thanks. (Cheers for your help Steff!)
Hi,

hmpf. I wouldn't have thought that this might cause this !
I will try to reproduce tomorrow evening and post here.

However, glad, that it seems that you could sort it out
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
I will try to reproduce tomorrow evening and post here.
I could partly reproduce. It's somehow related to changing the region boundaries before making the tempo change.

See here:

http://youtu.be/2T9H1ji15O0