Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I just checked this out. The DNS one CS software will control a DNS 2000 as well. You need to update the firmware on the DNS 2000 to do this tho. I haven't been able to update the firmware on ours yet. Anyone know the trick to doing this?
Best
Cedar audio states that DNS One and DNS2000 are cross-compatible, in a way that you could open a session with One that was originally mixed with 2000 and have the same result. We tested this and didnt get the same result, before the firmware upgrade. We just did the firmware upgrade, and noticed there was a difference before and after the upgrade...which is quite bad if we want to reopen old mixes. We didn't take the time yet to verify the cross-compatibility with the software yet, now that we did firmware upgrade. As for how to do the firmware upgrade, we leave this to our IT department, but I don't think it's complicated. I'll ask them and post the procedure here.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Re: DNS 2k RIP

Quote:
We just did the firmware upgrade, and noticed there was a difference before and after the upgrade...
What kind of difference?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
What kind of difference?
i would say the dns "bites" more after the upgrade. An approximate way to get our previous sound was to cut by half each value, and leave the treshold as it is. We could verify comparing our mix with the dialog stem.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Wow, that could be a huge change. It seems odd that Cedar would knowingly alter hardware's operation in such a drastic way to match software. I can see attack/release being difficult to match precisely, but not the range setting. I'm going to keep an eye on this as I upgrade chez postman studio. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM

And is it just me, or is the latest RCS plugin MUCH less legible than the earlier DNS one? Honestly, if I didn't already know what the buttons said I probably wouldn't be able to read them. The window is the same size as before, but the buttons are much smaller with black on red text
And the reduction meters seem very sluggish as well.
Oh well, at least my DX tracks are still nice and clean :)

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook