Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Default Help Me Get 001 files, please

I have an 001 with PT 5.3; yes it is old, 2002. I would like to run it on my new computer.

Specs:
Motherboard - P5Q
CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 Ghz
Vid Card - ATI Radeon HD 3600 VGA (memory 1GB)
Memory - 4GB 800Mhz DIMM (data width 64bit)
HD - Seagate SATA 7,200RPM 500G (two partitions)
OS - Windows XP Pro
PSU - 450watts

I have tried installing Protools 5.3 several times. The install is successful each time but it forces a "restart" every time I try to launch it. I have the original PACE and ASIO drivers.

1. If PT will simply not run because the HDs are SATA, or the OS isn't WIN98, or for any other non-negotiable reason, what is the best way to get at the old audio files I created using pt 5.3/digi0001?

2. If I decide to go with an MBox and PT 8 or 9, will my old digi audio tracks ever be accessible? Can I hear them utilizing PT 8 or 9...assuming I can set it 48khz?

3. If I decide to go with an MBox will my rig (see specs) be acceptable? I realize I will need to go to Windows 7 at that point, but other than that...what are the ways I need to adjust/augment my computer to make Mbox run at its best? Will I need a firewire connection? Are the converters on MBox-Pro an upgrade over MBox? (I realize recording at 192Khtz is an upgrade over 92K).

thank you,

Brian
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Help Me Get 001 files, please

For XP SP3 - I'm assuming your XP is up-to-date - you need PT LE 6.4 AND cs6 AND cs9 AND the latest PACE Drivers. You may also have to reduce the number of cores you're using when running Pro Tools as it wasn't until PT LE 7 that multi-core support was added.

Several threads on 001s, XP and new(er) computers.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
1. what is the best way to get at the old audio files I created using pt 5.3/digi0001?

I can't offer any specific answer to this question but here is a place to start looking for info;
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=353093

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I have an 001 with PT 5.3; yes it is old, 2002. I would like to run it on my new computer.

Specs:
Motherboard - P5Q
CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 Ghz
Vid Card - ATI Radeon HD 3600 VGA (memory 1GB)
Memory - 4GB 800Mhz DIMM (data width 64bit)
HD - Seagate SATA 7,200RPM 500G (two partitions)
OS - Windows XP Pro
PSU - 450watts

I have tried installing Protools 5.3 several times. The install is successful each time but it forces a "restart" every time I try to launch it. I have the original PACE and ASIO drivers.

1. If PT will simply not run because the HDs are SATA, or the OS isn't WIN98, or for any other non-negotiable reason, what is the best way to get at the old audio files I created using pt 5.3/digi0001?

2. If I decide to go with an MBox and PT 8 or 9, will my old digi audio tracks ever be accessible? Can I hear them utilizing PT 8 or 9...assuming I can set it 48khz?

3. If I decide to go with an MBox will my rig (see specs) be acceptable? I realize I will need to go to Windows 7 at that point, but other than that...what are the ways I need to adjust/augment my computer to make Mbox run at its best? Will I need a firewire connection? Are the converters on MBox-Pro an upgrade over MBox? (I realize recording at 192Khtz is an upgrade over 92K).

thank you,

Brian
Hello

You can use your Digi 001 with Windows XP SP II AND PT 6.4. Latest version of PT that supports Digi 001 is 6.4. Price for 6.4 is rather cheap so may wanna take a look there.I don't know about PT 5.x ,but PT 6 has in my knowledge no SATA issues.

STEPS You may wanna try with Pt 5 (and PT 6.4 these are for 6.4 really but try them)

1.download + Istall LATEST PACE DRIVERS
2.DISABLE DEP

READ the PT optimisation guide.
Now if you want to upgrade PT 9 and RME sounds great.Search here ,you will find out...
For your system if thats okay or not for PT ,you need a DETAILED report.Use Sandra (free version available) and post here
Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Thank you to The Weed, Sonicapg, and Zedhed.

I bought 6.4, downloaded the two fixes for 6.4 (cs6 and cs9), and the latest iLok drivers. iLok drivers and PACE drivers are the same thing, right? If not, I could not see where to download PACE drivers.

Will I have to reduce my cores before installation, or can wait to see of an issue arises?

I assume the order of installation is:
1. iLok drivers
2. PT6.4
3. cs6 & cs9

Is this right? Anything else that needs installation? I already have XP service pack 2.

thank you,
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM

iLok is unrelated to PT in this version. You may very well have plugs that need iLok, but PT 6.x doesn't. It does need the PACE Interlok drivers though. (Confusing I know, but they are two different things...)
http://www.paceap.com/dldrvr.html
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you to The Weed, Sonicapg, and Zedhed.

I bought 6.4, downloaded the two fixes for 6.4 (cs6 and cs9), and the latest iLok drivers. iLok drivers and PACE drivers are the same thing, right? If not, I could not see where to download PACE drivers.

Will I have to reduce my cores before installation, or can wait to see of an issue arises?

I assume the order of installation is:
1. iLok drivers
2. PT6.4
3. cs6 & cs9

Is this right? Anything else that needs installation? I already have XP service pack 2.

thank you,
hi
1.Disable DEP
2.Google "pace drivers download" its the 1st result ,paceap.com
3.I am using the 4 cores of my AMD Phenom 9750 [never disabled a core so far ,running GREAT]
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM

I must have downloaded the correct PACE drivers, because everything works perfectly. It appears to be more stable then I remember it being - everything moves like lightening. I'm very pleased...so far. I will probably move up to a pt9 and and MBox, but for now, as long as I am working with old files, it is the best I could hope for.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is DEP and why should I disable it?

Also:

As long as my rig seems to be chugging along, should I set the CPU usage for higher than the default of 65%? Enable low latency monitoring?

One question I can't find in the manual:

When in the Mix Window, the channels are very small. Isn't there same way to enlarge the tracks so I can better see and access the pan and the other buttons/tools? I can not see anything in either the "Display" or "Window" pull downs that can enlarge the tracks so they fill my whole visual field.

Thank you again for your help,

Brian
Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 AM

DEP

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

about the track height etc , I just remembered something called RTFM .In linux world ,newcomers are often be told RTFM ,which means Read The Freaking Manual
After all ,for you PT6.4 is the new version.... Good luck with it
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Sonicapg: Okay, give me the needle; I deserve it. I think I found the answer in the DUC: winkey + Up arrow key. I'll try that when I get home. I did not see anything in the manual about adjusting track height or width in the Mix Window. In the Edit Window it is obvious. I seem to remember (when I was recording in the past) the virtual mixing console filling up the screen, so I know it can be done.

Do you have an opinion on CPU usage settings?