Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and MacOs Mojave

So this is interesting, the normal 10.13.3 update doesn't even work on an imac pro, you have to download the updater for the imac pro specifically.

I have no idea, even if I could find an earlier high sierra (imac pro's shipped with 10.13.2 so that's the one I would need) if it would be the right one.

Wow.

And yet 10.13.4 says it has fixed issues specifically for imac pro regarding graphic corruption and certain apps.

This is so confusing. But how could windows 10 be better anyway with all the updates and breaking things.

I guess it's time to research all the windows topics here and see what i can find about windows 10 and PT.

The whole point of buying an imac pro IS so i can work under 128 buffer.. if i am buying that machine to stay at 128 or 256 there is no point to begin with. i wanted the power.

I guess if I can verify that cubase and Logic have zero issues with imac pro and high sierra 10.13.4/5/6 then that is my cue to exit PT permanently and not renew.

Sorry for the topic hijack.

Just like Apple never fixed the el capitan graphics redraw issues until sierra, the same will apply here.. they will NEVER fix any so called audio performance issues in high sierra, they will only do it in Mojave, and mojave is impossible for me.. It's literally game over.. I have 50 things that won't work and never can be as they will never be updated to 64 bit.

Sigh.

Sigh

and

Sigh.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
When it was ORIGINALLY released, not what it is currently shipping with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My mistake, thanks for the correction.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
So this is interesting, the normal 10.13.3 update doesn't even work on an imac pro, you have to download the updater for the imac pro specifically.

I have no idea, even if I could find an earlier high sierra (imac pro's shipped with 10.13.2 so that's the one I would need) if it would be the right one.

Wow.

And yet 10.13.4 says it has fixed issues specifically for imac pro regarding graphic corruption and certain apps.

This is so confusing. But how could windows 10 be better anyway with all the updates and breaking things.

I guess it's time to research all the windows topics here and see what i can find about windows 10 and PT.

The whole point of buying an imac pro IS so i can work under 128 buffer.. if i am buying that machine to stay at 128 or 256 there is no point to begin with. i wanted the power.

I guess if I can verify that cubase and Logic have zero issues with imac pro and high sierra 10.13.4/5/6 then that is my cue to exit PT permanently and not renew.

Sorry for the topic hijack.

Just like Apple never fixed the el capitan graphics redraw issues until sierra, the same will apply here.. they will NEVER fix any so called audio performance issues in high sierra, they will only do it in Mojave, and mojave is impossible for me.. It's literally game over.. I have 50 things that won't work and never can be as they will never be updated to 64 bit.

Sigh.

Sigh

and

Sigh.
Do you actually need to run 32bit and 64bit apps simultaneously?
It's very easy to make a partition (or use a separate drive all together) and install a more recent OS version. That way you can keep intact your current preferred OS version which runs 32bit apps, but you can also use Mojave too. As long as you don't need to run those apps at the same time, just having to wait around what....60seconds tops for a reboot and select the different boot drive? (assuming you're on a SSD) That should be an acceptable solution if so

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM

yes of course I do.....

32 bit bridged plugins

and standalone synth editors

absolutely all at the same time when i load a song project

thanks for your thoughts though
Old 07-19-2018, 09:27 AM

TNM:
You've got multiple machines - why not run VEPro 6 and tie them all together to share the load?

QAPLA!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 AM

In the process of trying to find a work around, I created a clean Yosemite install and had EXACTLY the same DSP spiking issues with Pro Tools Ultimate.

I dont think it's entirely the OS and that there are two issues (OSX and Pro Tools) that incrementally changed about the same time; which is making trouble shooting very difficult. I am going to replace the Ultimate with an early version of 12 to see what happens.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 AM

I have seen a post at steinberg forums that mojave beta still has the same cubase lock up problems on export that started only with 10.13.4.. so apple obviously do not think it's their fault.. from what I can find out, it's something that changed in the graphics system when they added support for egpu's.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom619 View Post
In the process of trying to find a work around, I created a clean Yosemite install and had EXACTLY the same DSP spiking issues with Pro Tools Ultimate.

I dont think it's entirely the OS and that there are two issues (OSX and Pro Tools) that incrementally changed about the same time; which is making trouble shooting very difficult. I am going to replace the Ultimate with an early version of 12 to see what happens.
Compatibility Matrix
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Yosemite last compatible is Pro Tools 12.8.1
Ultimate is not compatible.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
TNM:
You've got multiple machines - why not run VEPro 6 and tie them all together to share the load?
Thanks musicman, i have thought of this myself.

The big issue for me is the added latency of VE Pro.. I have tried it during the demo, and to play VI's on the slave machine in realtime, it had to be at a higher latency than I am comfortable at.

This is why I just wanted one beastly machine.

Also, my macbook really is full of junk.. 1tb SSD is almost full from games and demos and constant junk i play around with on it.. It's really not optimised at all..

The idea i DID have, was to keep my current imac when i got an imac pro, and chain those permanently.. and I was hoping to be able to do that whilst also using the imac as a second screen for the imac pro, but any attempt to find out if i can use VE Pro slave power of my current imac whilst it also being in target display mode has been impossible to find unfortunately. I have searched and searched.

The latency would still be an issue, BUT.. i figure with the imac pro, it's so powerful that I can still compose the parts on it, and *then* shift the VI to the imac just for playback, where latency doesn't matter. It has 32gb ram itself and is ultra quiet, i disable turbo boost so the fan NEVER spins up and the cpu just stays at 3.4ghz constantly...
In any case, if i could get it to work, this would leave me heaps more headroom on the imac pro for massive projects, like 128 VI tracks and stuff.

I'm looking a the 10 core as it seems to be the sweet spot in every single test scenario and always above 3ghz clock on all 10 cores even with max load and thermals maxed. I presume a 3ghz skylake per core, will beat a 3.4ghz sandy bridge anyway, clock for clock, so I will get literally 3x the power of my current imac which is great.. if i can combine them, even better! So you are on the right track with your idea, but the macbook pro is far too noisy under load anyway, even if i reformatted it and streamlined it, to consider having it in the control room. I HATE fan noise :)

The PC i put together is not cheap, it comes in at 9 grand AUD for a 7960X 16 core, 64GB 3000 ram, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2 x 1TB SSD, fractal R5 case, 1200 corsair PSU, GTX 1080 Nvidia, thunderbolt 3 alpine ridge gigabyte, 7 noctua fans and cooler and fan controller.. With windows I can control fan speeds completely and have a set speed that never changes no matter what.. this is how I always built the machines by not using any PWM connectors and combinations of 3 pin fan controllers, and exactly how I'd do it now.. A set noise level that never changes.. It would only change when i boot up the gaming partition to play and the geforce fan spin up.. It's the MSI 1080 which is literally silent unless it goes over 60 degrees which will never happen using a DAW. Even so, it's SUCH a quiet card even when gaming. But yes, i want to game to relieve stress in spare time.. PC much better for that also.

BUT.. even the most staunch windows advocate i know, who has done nothing but sell microsoft based DAW's for 20 years now, told me Win 10 is absolute garbage and a single update that can be deferred but not stopped, can break *everything*.. he said it went to hell after release 1511.. So that really puts me off as well.. I just don't know what to do........

I think if somehow I can get a machine with 10,.13.3, i'll just go the imac pro. I am going to call apple tomorrow and see if they can hook me up with it or even deliver the machine with 10.13.3 and i'll explain i have no option as it's for pro tools and i need to run at 64 buffer. So hopefully, they'll have a solution for me.

Regardless, we have to pressure Avid to fix it.. As propellerhead showed, it can be fixed. Steinberg have also confirmed they will fix it. Yes, apple changed something, but apparently if you follow their guidelines for how certain graphical elements should be done, there should be no issues.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom619 View Post

Hi, I'm in a similar situation.

Same CPU spikes, and I'm now back on Yosemite with 12.8.1, and it's solid and powerful, no spikes.. feels professional.

My findings, that they broke something in 12.8.2

Two months ago, I put a support ticket in for 2018.4, and Avid replicated the CPU spikes.