Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Digi/PTLE doesn't "see" MC Control/Mix

I just got this yesterday from Sweetwater- followed the install- under System Prefs .-> Euphonix

I keep geying the error message "ProTools is unable to communicate with the HUI..;.etc

I'm using the ethernet cables that came with the MC Control and Mix and the very same ethernet cable that was used with my Control 24

I'm only getting faders 5 - 8 to operate on the MC Mix... and banking sees the first 4 tracks .... or the last 4... nothing in between... The MC control did come on for a brief minute and I had 8 tracks going, but then it stopped... the touchscreen does seem to get some response moving from fader to fader... but nothing much else

I'm using a Netgear 5 port 10/100 fast Ethernet switch (also from Sweetwater with the purchase of the to surfaces)... a lot of flickering... which I'm guessing like most hubs/switches is communication???

PPC G5, 2.3 dual, 5 GB RAM,10.5.8, Digi 002R/ Presonus D8, PTLE the last cs for 8.0/PPC
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Digi/PTLE doesn't "see" MC Control/Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
I'm using a Netgear 5 port 10/100 fast Ethernet switch (also from Sweetwater with the purchase of the to surfaces)... a lot of flickering... which I'm guessing like most hubs/switches is communication???
I know nothing about the operation of the Artist series HUI emulation. But, I do know networking. If you are close to a Target/Walmart/Best Buy I would try to pick up another hub just to see if that could be the issue. If it doesn't fix the problem return it.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM

it appears to be an addressing issue, plugging the MC directly to the computer (no hub) ... same results
Old 05-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Did you try the steps in this FAQ on the Euphonix support site?
How do I connect directly to a Mac?
Quote:
The following setup is recommended if you are connected directly to your Mac - a single Ethernet cable from the Artist unit to the Mac's Ethernet port, and in some cases where a Switch is used between the Mac and the Artist control surfaces.

Set up manual network location:

1) Go to Network settings. Launch System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences...) and press the Network icon.
2) Unlock the pane to enable changes (lower left corner of panel - it will ask for your password)
- if you wish for this to be the permanent default location, then skip to step 7
3) Under the Location drop down menu, choose "Edit Locations..."
4) Choose "Automatic"
5) Click the button with a gear icon and choose "Duplicate Location". Name it "Artist Direct Connect" and click Done.
6) Under the Location drop down menu, choose "Artist Direct Connect"
7) Choose "Ethernet" in the list on the left. (If there are multiple Ethernet ports, use Ethernet port #1. This is the default port used for EuCon. The default port setting can be changed in System Preferences > Euphonix)
8) In the Configure drop down menu, choose "Manually"
9) In the IP Address field, enter: 169.254.1.2 (example)
10) In the subnet mask field, enter: 255.255.0.0
11) Press the Apply button
12) Go to: System Preferences > Euphonix
13) Press Stop. Wait a few seconds, then press Start again. This will relaunch all EuCon processes with the new settings.

You will also need to set a static IP address on the surface. See documentation for detailed steps (User Guide section A-1).
Here is an example of the settings to be used with the above steps:
IP: 169.254.001.003 (increment the last field for each additional unit, make sure you do not use the same IP address as set in step 9 above)
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Do you have the latest software installed?
Euphonix Downloads

Also on the downloads page:
EuCon Application Setup Guide
(How to setup connection of MC Control, MC Mix and MC Transport to different applications)

Setting up EuCon to Control Pro Tools
Before proceeding, make sure you have installed and are running EuControl as
described in the Installation section of your Quickstart or User Guides.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM

The Euphonix MC Artists are lovely in Logic...you can get them to work in PT but you will see how Digi crippled them to the HUI (only four letters per scribble strip, etc.) when they were still viewed as enemy.

One of the most annoying things is I can't get "jog" functionality via the Mc Control like I can in Logic (one of the most useful things). I only get scrub/shuttle and I have to use modifier/scroll wheel on the mouse to jog and zoom in PT still.

I really wanted to buy one or two MC Mixes to add to the MC Control but that purchase was put off when divA snatched Euphonix. I will have to wait to see what gets crippled and what gets de-crippled accordingly before making any further purchases.

In this article Gahagan seems to say all the right things (Requires Flash):

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newb...ia_201005/#/20

Can a company resist its old hostile impulses though? Maybe loss of power de-corrupts.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 PM

I have it working... now comes the learning curve for the soft buttons/keys, but I'm generally pleased. having come from a Control 24 where buttons didn't work, I was aware of the limitations of HUI (for once, eyes wide open)

Still working at getting it to work with Reaper (which the Cuckos forum indicates it does well)... and I plan on adding Logic so I can work multiple projects without ..... hindrance

I am very hopeful that Digi/Avid/Euphonix will not overlook the fact that there are a GREAT many of us still on PPC, when they better integrate the product lines to consummate the marriage. I believe this will both maintain loyalty as well as increase product appeal... i find it somewhat ironic that Protools is that last platform listed in the Application set-up PDF (and the only HUI)
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I have it working... now comes the learning curve for the soft buttons/keys, but I'm generally pleased. having come from a Control 24 where buttons didn't work, I was aware of the limitations of HUI (for once, eyes wide open)

Still working at getting it to work with Reaper (which the Cuckos forum indicates it does well)... and I plan on adding Logic so I can work multiple projects without ..... hindrance

I am very hopeful that Digi/Avid/Euphonix will not overlook the fact that there are a GREAT many of us still on PPC, when they better integrate the product lines to consummate the marriage. I believe this will both maintain loyalty as well as increase product appeal... i find it somewhat ironic that Protools is that last platform listed in the Application set-up PDF (and the only HUI)
I will be stunned if Avidphonix makes more than one final PPC release. I'd be surprised if they even make one. But then I am surprised Avidesign made 8.0.1cs2 while still struggling mightily with 8.0.3/4. I would presume all 8.0.x coding is done by a maintenance team while all hands are on deck for the PT9 project, which may get delayed yet again in the interests of Eucon integration (the shareholders like to see quick results from a costly acquisition you know, thus the half-baked Sibelius in PT8). That's going to be Intel-only and will probably have all the Eucon programmers busy on it and it alone.

So I would keep expectations at zero for Eucon PPC support moving forward.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Oh and here's something rather interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChJEr-y5nM

You can put your DAW mixer window and plugins direct onto an iPad without any audio company's involvement: Air Display is just $9 general purpose software that turns your iPad into a touchscreen display for your Mac. The performance is a bit sluggish and it isn't multi-touch, but essentially things like the MC Control can be disintermediated by cheap general purpose tech like that.

I would like to try it as it stands, the whole package would be half the price of an MC Mix and work with any software whether divA tried to quash it or not!

(Euphonix sold at the right time!)
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM

up and running, PT works... (now to learn all the various features that DO work)- I think it's also set-up for Reaper, but haven't had time to run a test session

There's must be a correct way to start things

Computer.... wait till after the desktop is up before powering up the Control and Mix? ( I get the error about the static IP configuration... has changed, so i power the Control/Mix down power down the hub, wait a few, power up the hub, the the Control/Mix and then it seems to work fine

or there's still something not to it's liking in the Internal Ethernet 2 set-up

I'm on the PPC for another year so I can get full moneys worth/depreciation out of it... maybe the price for the dual quad will come down a bit... or the next generation will get introduced and i can get in at the beginning of the wave... instead of nearing the end of the production run-
Old 05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Avid

Exclamation Re: Digi/PTLE doesn't "see" MC Control/Mix

Quote:

I keep geying the error message "ProTools is unable to communicate with the HUI..;.etc
This is actually not a EuCon/Network error. Pro Tools actually never sees EuCon no the surfaces directly. As far as Pro Tools knows, there is a HUI connected, and it uses the "virtual" MIDI ports created by the Euphonix MIDI driver.

If Pro Tools throws this error up, it means one of two things:

1. The Euphonix MIDI ports are stale in AMS. Re-assign your HUIs in Pro Tools. Also check the Euphonix MIDI device in AMS. If it is DIM then more steps could be involved. There is an FAQ about this here:

http://www.euphonix.com/artist/suppo....php?detail=32

2. Pro Tools is no longer in the Euphonix System Preference panel. This can happen if you have bad permission, or you are not an Administrator when you add the application.

http://www.euphonix.com/artist/suppo....php?detail=27