Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Default I have to what?

So I just purchased a new SC 48. It came in with some sort of issue that is causing a very loud popping coming from the outputs. Avid is walking me through some steps to find the issue. My concern is that I do t think I'm comfortable ripping this desk apart and pulling out the guts. Right now they want me to remove the mix engines witch are buried beneath avert thing in the console. What are y'all's thoughts

Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM

Default Re: I have to what?

I would say if you've ever taken a computer apart or messed about in one, then you are qualified to perform this maintenance. If not, maybe you have a geek friend you can put on the phone with avid?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Avid

I agree with Brent - SC48 is not that hard to disassemble. At least up to the level they want you to do.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Keep in mind that this is coming from a person that likes to take things apart fix them and put them back together. But I think you need a Torx screwdriver set to open up an SC48.

I think it is great that Avid has no problem with having you (under their instructions) take it apart and help you to get it up and running again. It is probably much quicker then you having to ship the whole thing back to them. They can just ship you the part or subassembly and have you put it in and get it up and running much quicker.

I don’t know where you bought the console from but if they are near to you and are a full service shop maybe you can take it to them and have them work with Avid to get it fixed.

In all the years I have been doing sound I have had expensive and cheap gear fail in some way. The real test is how the company handles a repair.

I recently had to ship a moving light back for a client (that was just barely still under warranty) to the manufacturer to make a repair. If they had let me do it all they had to do was send me a limit switch. And I could tell from the behavior that that was the problem. It would have been much cheaper and faster. I was actually hoping that it was out of warranty so I could take it apart and fix it myself.

So I think it is great that Avid will work with you the way that they are.