Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Windows XP Hangs Randomly

Let me try to explain what the situation is: I seemingly random points Windows XP hangs forcing a hard reboot.

I'm using a Digi002 with LE 6.1 (this also happened with 5.3.2 and I was hoping that 6.1 would have fixed this problem).

My System:
Intel D845PESVL P4 478-Pin ATX MB
Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz 512K 533MHz
Asus GeForce FX5200 V9520VS 128MB DDR TVOUT 2xDVI VIVO
1024MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM Kingston
Plextor 40x12x40x CD-RW Retail - Black

I've installed XP from scratch and I have one system drive Maxtor 30gig ATA133 drive. I use an 80 gig Firewire drive for my sessions (I've installed the firewire drive internally, that didn't work either).

My drives are using DMA, I've disabled the onboard audio and LAN...

There is no other software installed on the system.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-05-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Windows XP Hangs Randomly

i have this same problem now that i'm running 6.1 and it's driving me nuts! i also have random rebbots in the middle of a session!!!

i don't remember this happening when i was running 5.3. i wouldn't think twice about going back to this, but i really need the re-wire support.

my system consists of a 002 and a computer very similar to an athlon powered an allen machine.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:09 AM

Last night I took drastic measures and I went into Window Services and disable all non critical servers. I now only have about 5 services running (I can tell you what they are if need to). I only use this computer for PT so I didn't need anything else going on... this seems to have fixed the problem, although I need more testing.

I also disabled everything in the BIOS, on board LAN/Audio...

I'll let you know if this really worked.

Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 05:28 AM

Out of desperation I disabled almost all services in Windows XP. I left about 5 services (which I can share if you like) because I don't have any other software loaded on that PC, it's dedicated to pro tools.

I created a drum track and put 5 plug ins on it. Then I duplicated the track 16 times. Loop played it for an hour with the CPU hovering at 85% with no problems.... I'm now going to start a process of elimination to see what service was causing a problem.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:52 AM

cool...thanks for experimenting raid!

i also have a computer completely dedicated to running pro tools.

could you please share what services you have disabled/enabled? i'll duplicate your efforts and see what the outcome is....

thanks!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:59 AM

I'll get you the list of services I disabled, plus the list of services that are needed to run windows.

This definately seemed to help, there is a service, or services that is causing a problem. I recorded, edited, and mixed for about 2 hours last night with no problems. Of course I now have a problem bouncing to disk with the MP3 option although I can bounce to disk with any other format... always something fun.

I'll get you that information ASAP...

Rob
Old 08-08-2003, 05:33 AM

Well I'm in the process of elimination phase now... damn it's time consuming and painful but there is most certainly a correlation between some services that are running a PT. I've turned all the services back on as a test and within a few minutes PT hangs and I have to perform a hard reboot.

With almost all the services turned off I was able to use the system for many hours before it did hang and I need to reboot so something's going on. Of course I still can't bounce to disk but that's a separate thread!

My goal would be to post all the services that windows xp needs as a minimum. If you have no other software installed on your PC this would at least give a starting point... I'll keep this thread updated.