Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Imported MP3 files run very hot. Guru Needed!

I have an odd problem if I import a MP3 file into a new session same Sample and bit rate the MP3 file is so hot it distorts. Now there are no plugins on the channel, but I have to use a Trim plugin to bring the level down by 5db so it can be listened to without distorting. This is on a PT 9.03 HD TDM Intel Mac 10.6.8. Now as for the MP3 files it can be any commercial audio file does not matter the genre or artist all files run extremely hot. Why this is so has me puzzled. This has nothing to do with the converters ( I use Lynx Aurora's)
and I have a HD2 system. But I suspect it has something to do with Protools internal routing or IO setup. I would think that if you import an MP3 file it shouldn't run so hot as to be distorted. The channel fader is set to 0 and it is pre-fader monitoring. Here is a link to my IO settings http://gallery.me.com/rbartlett7#100157. I would really appreciate some help as to why this happens with PT and it most clearly is a software issue. It has been driving me crazy, so I need some guru muscle. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Imported MP3 files run very hot. Guru Needed!

well most commercial music is so compressed for the loudness illusion that yes it runs hot

try making an mp3 of something that is not so compressed (CD from the 80s, an acoustic track that you have made) and see how that imports

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-15-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 View Post
I have an odd problem if I import a MP3 file into a new session same Sample and bit rate the MP3 file is so hot it distorts. Now there are no plugins on the channel, but I have to use a Trim plugin to bring the level down by 5db so it can be listened to without distorting. This is on a PT 9.03 HD TDM Intel Mac 10.6.8. Now as for the MP3 files it can be any commercial audio file does not matter the genre or artist all files run extremely hot. Why this is so has me puzzled. This has nothing to do with the converters ( I use Lynx Aurora's)
and I have a HD2 system. But I suspect it has something to do with Protools internal routing or IO setup. I would think that if you import an MP3 file it shouldn't run so hot as to be distorted. The channel fader is set to 0 and it is pre-fader monitoring. Here is a link to my IO settings http://gallery.me.com/rbartlett7#100157. I would really appreciate some help as to why this happens with PT and it most clearly is a software issue. It has been driving me crazy, so I need some guru muscle. Thanks.
As you can resolve it using the trim plugin, I am pretty sure that this is a calibration issue with your monitoring system. Give us more information about that.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micks_Mix View Post
As you can resolve it using the trim plugin, I am pretty sure that this is a calibration issue with your monitoring system. Give us more information about that.
+1
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 AM

I see that the first pair of outputs are routed to multiple destinations. Anything there perhaps?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 View Post
I would NOT in my wildest dream use PT to convert MP3 files to WAV.
It totally ruins them.

Even iTunes will give you better results.

I dont know why but there are strange things happening when PT handles MP3. Also, dont use PT to convert you tune to MP3. Use something else.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micks_Mix View Post
If the MP3 in the channel is ramped up I can turn off the physical monitor system but the does not change the fact that the channel meter is being overloaded, if that is what you are referring to. Here are the IO settings
http://gallery.me.com/rbartlett7#100157. Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I would NOT in my wildest dream use PT to convert MP3 files to WAV.
It totally ruins them.

Even iTunes will give you better results.

I dont know why but there are strange things happening when PT handles MP3. Also, dont use PT to convert you tune to MP3. Use something else.
The only reason I do that is to use the MP3 of a song as a cross reference against my mix. But it had me wondering about the gain stage within Protools. Now I use a meter to set all my levels to +4 so I don't care at all about the meters as long as I know what the PT meter is, coming from the converter at +4.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I see that the first pair of outputs are routed to multiple destinations. Anything there perhaps?
That's what I was thinking but not sure about how it should be properly set up.
I would appreciate maybe some .jpegs of what it should look like. I also don't understand why PT automatically sets busses those outputs , if I disable them then nothing will come out. I find non Avid converter routing confusing sometimes.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
well most commercial music is so compressed for the loudness illusion that yes it runs hot

try making an mp3 of something that is not so compressed (CD from the 80s, an acoustic track that you have made) and see how that imports
Yea I agree with that but that pic of the meter level was a Norah Jones tune. I know that some Mastering guys refuse to slam the track and would walk away from the client. God bless em too. This loudness crap has destroyed music. The guy who started it should have a mackie board rammed up his A@*!!