Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Re: HD 192 bass-lite? Impedance mismatch?

It does seem as if Mixerman did everything right and was using the system the way people would like to use it. Has anyone else here transferred from tape and then mixed direct-out out through a console? Someone from Digi might want to try it, (before the product recall gets too large) It would take a huge PR compaign to convince us that we'd be better off with 6db less information below 50 hz.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dave-G:

If it turns out that Mixerman's bottom-octave anomaly isn't a result of impedance mismatch or a sync/repro-head misalignment, that would be reason for concern, since it seems to have been a well-concocted test, involving a common application of the system.

-dg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there any unusual impedance eccentricities on an 8078? If not, then an impedance problem would also be a cause for concern.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:24 PM

Impedance mismatch is a thing of the past.

Why phase & frequency problems occur (Meeklabs)
Old 03-20-2002, 07:08 PM

It is also possible this was a loading problem. This type of thing can happen when hooking up machines to Elco harnesses where the line in is being fed by two sources simultaneously. A patchbay or patching problem my also have caused this.

Can anybody else with this type of setup do some testing with tones?

Questions for RKrizman:
What model Studer were you using?
Did you patch directly into the Neve's line in's?
Have you done the testing with tones?

thanks
Old 03-20-2002, 11:39 PM

What is the 192's output impedance at +26 ???? (i.e.9098=10k)
Old 03-21-2002, 01:15 AM

From my reading of the other thread -- the transfer was straight from tape into PT/HD and not from the direct outs of the 8078. If it's an 8078, I'm also guessing that he's at Cello -- so we can conclude that he's probably using an ATR124 tape out directly into the Digi 192 I/O.

Does anyone know if he used an external word clock or the 192's internal clock. How were the transfers made -- what was the master machine and which synch device did they use?

Way too many unknown variables to make any conclusions yet.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-21-2002, 07:27 AM

I don't think he specified the studio, but aren't there at least 4 or 5 8078's in LA? Extasy, Royaltone, Cello, Mad Hatter . . etc..

Regardless, he did the same test using the same method, but with an iz RADAR in place of the PTHD/192 and had no rolled-off lows.

Since I'm planning to upgrade, I'm hoping that we get some simple answers to why this is happening. Hopefully this is not simply the "sound" of the 192 converter.

-dg

ps: for what it's worth, here is the topic on Mixerman's forum.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:04 AM

He said he's tracking which cuts out most of those studios (due to tracking room size) -- however there was another thread on his site which, I believe, mentions that he's at Cello.

We still don't know how he locked the 192 session -- that very well may not have been the same method used when he transferred to the Radar.

Withe the Radar transfer, did he have the Radar as Master or Slave ... did he use the built in chase/synch?

With the 192 session, did he have PT set to chase with LTC/LTC... did he have PT as a code only master... did he have a 60Hz external video source or any external clocking device...?????

If there was an external clock source being fed to the 192 -- we know from a previous post on this forum that cable impedence with the 192 is critical -- could that have been a factor ????

As I said before - too many unknown variables.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-21-2002, 09:48 AM

I didn't see anything about him being at Cello (who IS Mixerman anyway?), although they do have 1 A827 currently in studio 3 with a phase-reverse harness because the rest of Cello is pin 3 hot.

And, no, there is no reason to introduce a gain stage between a +4 tape machine and a +4 converter set, just proper calibration.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:02 AM

Has ANYONE else in the known universe had this problem? Unless we have evidence of at least two users having a similar experience, it seems premature to think that there may be a design flaw...