Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro/HD3 boot-up problem

Quote:
All,

I had the problem and was beta tester for new cards. I don't know what Digi support discovered with other beta testers, but with new Core and Accel cards installed in my 2.66 MacPro the problem has been resolved. I have been running clean for more than 2 months and dozens of boots. My understanding is that the issue relates to the failure of send and acknowledgement messages that occur between the PCIe cards and the Mac during the power up process. Apparently the interaction gets stuck in a kind of loop mode and therefore hangs.

Scot
Scot,

Did Digidesign exchange your Cards cause you had these problems, or where you a beta tester for these new cards anyway?

Thanks

MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz 10GB Ram
4x500GB internal Sata Drives,
NO
external FW or USB drives,
Leopard 10.5.5,
PTHD3 Accel PCIe (internal - NO Magma)
PT 8.0cs1
latest Pro Application Support update
D-Command
2x96 I/O

My Songwriter & Recording Studio Site

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Avid

For anyone experiencing the problem of their Mac not booting with HD cards installed, please contact tech support for information on how to get your cards swapped.

This problem is due to some changes in PCI bus timing - often the Mac firmware update will fix it, but in those cases it does not, we can provide you with cards that have an updated component to alleviate the problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Will this update be offered up for installation when we check for software updates in the mac OS or is there a site where we can explicitly download the required update?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Avid

Quote:
Will this update be offered up for installation when we check for software updates in the mac OS or is there a site where we can explicitly download the required update?
Yes, it should show up in Software Update if your computer is in need of a new firmware version.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
For anyone experiencing the problem of their Mac not booting with HD cards installed, please contact tech support for information on how to get your cards swapped.

This problem is due to some changes in PCI bus timing - often the Mac firmware update will fix it, but in those cases it does not, we can provide you with cards that have an updated component to alleviate the problem.
I'm having this problem.... i'm so glad i found this thread!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Hi guys,

I experienced this problem big time most days would take me 3-6 times to get this mac going. ( 2 x Quad 3GHZ Mac Pro 2,1).

I learned to live with it because its so random and didnt effect daily use until...... its started randomly restarting itself a few days ago. It would do this no matter what I was doing or had connected to it.

I called apple ( its under apple care) and they had me do a permissions repair from the install disc, they reckon that is different from inside the OS.

It worked I have had it going for a few days and not once have i even had a shaky start up and its not crashing.

Hope this help , and I hope that just because I posted it doesnt start again!

tko
Old 05-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Hi Digidesign Support.
Do I actually have to pay 79 dollars to speak with someone so I can exchange my HD3 which gives me the grey boot up screen? Can I take it to a dealer? I do not have access to the original dealer as they are out of business.

Can you please help? It seems unfair that I should have to pay 79 dollars to talk to you to exchange something that is a known hardware bug.

Thanks,
Daniel