Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Protools 8 New look, old look! Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I don't agree with this point. All we are is time and energy. Since time is finite, using time to complete automatable/repeatable tasks is waste. This time could be spent on things that require a personal touch to improve quality. So I would say saving time thru improved methods/processes improves quality.

Many of us believe the approach to print VIs could be much improved in ProTools, but I would certainly put fixing the GUI, Bug Fixes and RTAS rebuild a lot higher on the list than adding any new PT features.
Yea, I agree too, don't get me wrong.. CERTAIN things it is good to try to save the time as long as quality is not sacrificed (which is rare). But the problem I see becoming more and more of a trend is people OBSESSING over saving time. This in turn ruins alot of things.

Are you one of them speed up in the middle of a block guys even though at the end of the block the light is red ? Not me, but so many people are. In the end it saves NO TIME, but it does cost more on gas and brakes. PLUS you are not enjoying the moment at all. Speeding by things is a good way to miss what the world has to offer OR for you to come up with a idea to improve the quality/scenery. This exact paragraph should be applied to alot of things metaphorically in our music industry if we wanna save the quality from going downhill IMO.

I see that same mentality in every industry now, and unfortunately taking over the music industry too which is a small PART of the reason why records are suffering so bad.

Also, in the example relaxo gave, I feel it is a bad place to save time FOR ME PERSONALLY... when I do have to do something similar to do, I use the "bouncing" idea as a way to "cease the moment" to improve quality (like I said above) to also run it through a few high end pieces of outboard - EQ's, Comp... and mainly a TUBE Line Pre.... When it gets back in.... it is SAUCEY !!! Can't do that if you are panicing on saving time so much that you always just run to "Freeze Track"... and it don't sound no where CLOSE if you try all that using plug ins.

Get my point ?

BUT I do agree in OTHER things, yes saving time is cool. But you should be very careful where and when you are saving this time and analyze if it is truly worth it in the long run or not.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
one of them speed up in the middle of a block guys even though at the end of the block the light is red ? Not me, but so many people are. In the end it saves NO TIME, but it does cost more on gas and brakes.
Yea I agree. Saving time getting to a red light does nothing. . . running errands outside of rush hour, to avoid traffic, does save time. . . but if you love your car (I hate waiting for my DAW), have some tunes to listen to, something to ponder, or someone to hang with, then who cares, go cruise and enjoy to the day. . .
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 AM

It's so common to confuse fundamental functional substance with fashion.

It's very true that most of us have mourned (or bitched about) the passing of some fashion we identified with and felt validated by. In fact I think most of the problems we have in the music business today have been caused by the failure of folks at all levels in our industry to recognize this distinction. Even bringing the subject up raises many people's hackles.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's so common to confuse fundamental functional substance with fashion.

It's very true that most of us have mourned (or bitched about) the passing of some fashion we identified with and felt validated by. In fact I think most of the problems we have in the music business today have been caused by the failure of folks at all levels in our industry to recognize this distinction. Even bringing the subject up raises many people's hackles.
Interesting observation Bob, but is it relevant here? I mean is fashion that relevant for tools? A hammer is a hammer, right? Albeit there are different types for different functions. . . you don't want a velvet handle with a tassel on the end because it looks cool in accordance with this weeks trend, and as a result it slips of out of your hand and falls on your foot.

Making a ProTools style change to make it "fashionable" was a move by people with their eye on the wrong ball.

Let's go toward 'functional' instead and among other things, put back contrast and a non-gray edit window please!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Interesting observation Bob, but is it relevant here? I mean is fashion that relevant for tools? A hammer is a hammer, right? Albeit there are different types for different functions. . . you don't want a velvet handle with a tassel on the end because it looks cool in accordance with this weeks trend, and as a result it slips of out of your hand and falls on your foot.

Making a ProTools style change to make it "fashionable" was a move by people with their eye on the wrong ball.

Let's go toward 'functional' instead and among other things, put back contrast and a non-gray edit window please!
Or an adjustable edit window.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Or an adjustable edit window.
Now THAT'S a great idea!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Now THAT'S a great idea!
And that's all we're really asking for here.

Give us the ability to tweak it as bright as PT7 and everywhere in between.

That way everyone is happy.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
And that's all we're really asking for here.
Give us the ability to tweak it as bright as PT7 and everywhere in between.
That way everyone is happy.
Absolutely...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Avid

Quote:
In an effort to reassure the citizens of the DUC and, hopefully, reduce some of these truly unnecessary posts, I would like to say that we are making changes and that we will roll them out as soon as we can. I cannot give dates - as you know it is verboten to give any indication of date for legal reasons.

I doubt there is much else that can be added to this thread (which has been read repeatedly at all levels of the Digi/Avid organization) that hasn't already been said with emphasis.

We truly understand your frustrations, but in the interest of keeping things on topic and less on taking jabs at each other, we respectfully request that any further posts in this thread be kept to specific complaints or issues with the GUI. In other words, all we want to hear is what you don't like and why. No more, no less.

Any further posts that divert from the specific topic will be deleted.
Given that I posted this back on June 2nd and I've seen very little in the way of actual new complaints or issues since then and the fact that there's far too much vitriolic banter going back and forth that I have to weed through and delete, it's time to lock this thread until after the update comes out with the GUI changes.

Apologies to anyone who spent time writing long involved posts that were subsequently deleted. It's not like I didn't warn you.

Thanks to everyone who gave [I]clear, concise and thoughtful[I] feedback about the GUI and for reading what I had to say about the matter.
Closed Thread