Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Threads like this always cracks me up... Now I've never been on a concrete drillers forum so maybe the conversation goes a bit like... RIP Hilti 20XX I will never come back.... Or, probably not....
An Avid HD system with interfaces will set you back around £4K, HDX a couple of grand more (a Hilti diamond core drill, £4K).. OK, you can rock studio one plus a Lynx and you'll save about a grand...
The reason why I think the concrete drillers forum is fictitious, is because they reinvest some of their revenues into the tools they need to do their job (and offsetting tax), and accept this as part of the trade they're in..

It's true that Avid have not been as "product to consumer" savvy as, say Focusrite. But, if you're moaning about a £1K cost per annum you're simply not making enough revenue.. Btw, this is still a pretty cheap hobby, a golf club package is about £300 and a yearly membership around £1.5K...
Old 01-27-2017, 04:32 PM

I have made my living in the construction industry. We ended up focusing on Power, voice and data. When the VOIP thing started, I could never get used to the idea the someone would actually pay a license fee to use their phone. Really, how stupid is that? It was the silliest thing I had ever heard of, after installing literally thousands of sets that just worked. Yet, to the resident IT guys, it was nothing unusual. I still think that software licensing is something that many have a hard time with, perhaps because it doesn't get you something that is tangible. Software piracy is very common and accepted. Somehow it seems different than say stealing a computer, although it costs companies millions in lost revenue. You will see Avatars listing many thousands of dollars worth of top end computer and other equipment, while listening to the complaints of software costs or their student discount that stopped working. I'm not taking a side, just stating an observation that has been consistent for years.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 PM
tundra

The obvious solution is a complete turnkey system with a custom "computer" and "OS" built by Avid.

:)

Justifies the cost of the hardware, and the yearly upkeep.

Like buying a boat.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
The obvious solution is a complete turnkey system with a custom "computer" and "OS" built by Avid.
:)
Justifies the cost of the hardware, and the yearly upkeep.
Like buying a boat.
Lol, "this is my main computer, and this is The Pro Tool(s)". Very Fairlight. edit: and training sessions.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Pro Tools owns the professional market because they were the first to use off the shelf computers and a standard personal computer format hard disk for recording audio.

It was by far the cheapest solution in the '90s!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:34 AM

And it's still a pretty reasonable solution, cost wise, for a professional solution. $25,000 for such a powerful system is nothing for a post house or a film company! Certainly the operators of the system make much more than that!

$400 per year for HD is really not so much in the scheme of things. Major updates used to be $799 to $1299!

It just goes to show that it is impossible to make everyone happy.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:37 AM

Updates used to be $150 and they had a heck of a lot more improvements than 11 to 12 to today. That said $400/yr is not much for a key piece of someones business assets. Is it a good "value"? No. Is it a necessary expense - for many - "yes". Is it in line with other products? There is no other integrated DSP platform. Native users have to make their own minds up.

I have to re-up in Feb. Will I? Yes. Do I think its a good value? No. I do it because it is either $400 a year or $1000 when I might "need" to. More explicitly - I may need a new OS compatibility update in the next 3 years, they may make improvements i like in the next 3 years and I actually use (but don't own) ~$600 worth of DSP plugins included in the plan.

Do I like this? No. Am I searching for a way out of HDX and PT? Every day.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 AM

I don't remember any upgrades that were $150. I've been using since Pro Tools 5
Old 01-28-2017, 12:58 PM

If I could use PT 10 on Sierra I would still be using it, The only reason I upgraded to PT12 HD is to be able to get into a newer OS and computer. Having PT running 64 bit is nice when you need more plug ins but OMG, any version of PT12 has been a nightmare. I just want to get my work done. I constantly find myself putting my older OS HD into my machine and run PT10 to be able to get the editing done. PT10 also runs noticeably snappier then PT12 on the same machine! go figure.

The only reason I use pro Tools because I have to deliver the edit sessions to a facility that uses Pro Tools. That being said I use Nuendo most the time and am able to export proper AAF's to a Pro Tools stage , The AAF includes, Fades, Clip gain, track volume and panning. All you need for the stage!

I use Nuendo7 for all other contract and considering it cost a fraction of Pro Tools it has actual proper Post tools . every upgrade actually has useful updates *(futures) and best of all, IT WORKS OUT OF THE BOX. its on sale now for only 1K. Many of my PT friends all admit PT does not even come close to.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/bu...=Nuendo%207%20
Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM

Actually it is in line with other post production audio software.