Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Default ProTools Quit Grayed out, can only force Quit

Found an old thread on this from a few years and versions ago, but no solutions really. Now happening to me starting recently, but not all the time. No sessions and no other programs open at the time. Command Q, I get the Apple "funk" alert. In the menu, Quit is grayed out. As is the "About ProTools", and "Preferences". I can only force quit.
I FEEL like this started when I updated the App Manager to Avid Link 19.1...I guess I'd be dumb to assume they wouldn't be related.
Any ideas?

Ultimate 2018.10
OS 10.12.6
Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Default Re: ProTools Quit Grayed out, can only force Quit

Why quit?
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_eyes View Post
Found an old thread on this from a few years and versions ago, but no solutions really. Now happening to me starting recently, but not all the time. No sessions and no other programs open at the time. Command Q, I get the Apple "funk" alert. In the menu, Quit is grayed out. As is the "About ProTools", and "Preferences". I can only force quit.
I FEEL like this started when I updated the App Manager to Avid Link 19.1...I guess I'd be dumb to assume they wouldn't be related.
Any ideas?

Ultimate 2018.10
OS 10.12.6
Do you have multiple desktops? I remember that happening when PT had an open/save dialog box open on another desktop not on screen. Had to find it then deal with the open/save dialog.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:51 PM

I came across this just last week. Odd. I force-quit and moved on but would like to know what happened. I only have a single desktop so that wasn't the culprit.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Do you have multiple desktops? I remember that happening when PT had an open/save dialog box open on another desktop not on screen. Had to find it then deal with the open/save dialog.
Thought this was the case as my 3rd monitor isn't always on, but I've checked multiple times and it's not the problem.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I came across this just last week. Odd. I force-quit and moved on but would like to know what happened. I only have a single desktop so that wasn't the culprit.
I've had it happen a couple times as well. Same thing, force quite, moved on. No ill effects. Single desktop as well.

It would be interesting to know why though. No other crashes or issues (other than the loose nut on the keyboard).

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 AM

From other threads i gather that this can sometimes be caused by a plugin doing something in the background even though nothing is playing. I would venture to guess it's always some background process that is stuck that causes it but not necessarily the same thing every time it happens. AFA the change from AM to AL i had to reset my preferences when i updated so that AL wouldn't start up automatically, so i guess that could have an effect.