Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Getting Pro Tools 8 to work in Windows 7 32bit - Digi002 (what worked for me)

After 3 days of trial and error, I finally got Pro Tools 8 to work on my Windows 7 machine.

Here's the steps I took.

1) Make sure Digi is off and not plugged in via Firewire
2) Boot from Windows 7 disc, format partition, install Windows 7
3) Install iTunes (to prevent aac error during installation)
4) Set firewire to legacy mode
5) Go to Services, open up plug and play Properties, go to Recovery tab, set first, second and subsequent failures to "Take No Action"
6) Right click Pro Tools 8 installer and "Troubleshoot Compatibility", use recommended settings (should be Windows XP SP 2)
7) Plug in Firewire then turn on Digi002 when it asks you to
8) *Important, switch off the Digi002 as soon as the hardware drivers are done installing, so in otherwords, as soon as the "installing hardware drivers" dialog box disappear, switch off the Digi002
9) Restart, repeat steps 6-8 for 8.0cs3.
10) Restart, repeat steps 6-8 for 8.0.1 updater

Hopefully that works for others out there.

My main issue was getting BSOD (bluescreen of death) during installation and I knew it was related to Firewire. I noticed that the bluescreen would usually occur after the hardware drivers were installed, so it made sense to switch off my Digi002 once the hardware drivers were finished installing.

I'm not positive if the plug and play settings are required, but my logic is to prevent any activity with Firewire, especially any automatic activity. My original intention was to disable plug and play entirely, but it doesn't let you for some reason... (grayed out)

Once installation is complete, run Pro Tools with "Troubleshoot Compatibility" every time, don't hit next and try to set it up as default settings. For some reason, it says incompatible and throws errors.

Kind of gimpy, but at least it works! (celebrates!)

Anyway, I'm curious to see if others have any luck with these steps.

Good luck!

DK
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Getting Pro Tools 8 to work in Windows 7 32bit - Digi002 (what worked for me)

lol, lucky you!

I tried so many different things, including what you described, but I would get blue screened EVERY time during installation. You have no idea how many times I've formatted, rebooted, pulled my hair out, etc...

In any case, this method is more for people who've been getting blue screen of death during install, like myself.

"By the way, you dont need to update to CS3 before loading 8.0.1 just go right from 8 to 8.0.1"

Hmm I thought I read somewhere that you need to update to CS3 before updating to 8.0.1... shrug, I'll remember that for next time. Thanks Benoni!

DK
Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Getting Pro Tools 8 to work in Windows 7 32bit - Digi002 (what worked for me)

Hmm probably, my perception may have been compromised from this damn flu I've had... hard to think when the brain is overclocked at 104 degrees... :/

DK
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 PM

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH DEYBWAH!!!! Your tips worked. And I am running Win 7 64 bit. Huge break through in my opinion!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM

@Patriarch - I'm glad it worked out for you, if it worked for one person, then my job is done.