Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM

Default digi 003 firewire not recognized

Hi,
I wanted to share a problem that I had (and solved) with the digi 003 firewire.

I have digi 003 and pro-tools 10, running on a HP laptop 8460w with built-in firewire.

At some point the pro tools didn't recognize the digi 003, it said that it could not find the hardware.

I had lots of stuff installed on my laptop so I thought I messed something up in windows and the drivers etc.

I started a clean image on windows 7, installed pro tools and the digi 003 drivers and it worked fine.

Then I installed lots of more stuff and it again - the digi 003 was not recognized.

Again I got back to a clean windows 7, and installed everything and sometimes it worked fine and sometimes it didn't recognize the 003 at all.

it drove me crazy, I thought that something wasn't good in the cable or hardware (firewire)... replaced the firewire cable... re-installed everyhing...

To make the story short - I read somewhere that there might be something with the grounding of the electricity.

I then tried disconnecting the laptop from the power adaptor - pro tools found the 003. I reconnected the power adaptor - and pro tools could not connect to the 003.

The power charger I was using at this room (my studio) is a cheap one from ebay, not the original HP.

I then tried the original charger and all worked fine.

Conclusion - the cheap power charger probably didn't have the electricity grounding done right... and this caused the firewire not to work fine.

So if your digi 003 is not recognized - try dis-connecting from the power charger and see if this helps.

Otherwise - make sure you install the 003 drivers of-course.

Hope it helps someone
Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 PM

Default Re: digi 003 firewire not recognized

+1 with basically the exact same problem on a MacBook Pro, so this isn't just an HP issue.

If you have the 1394 light on the front of your 003 switching off for no apparent reason and the connection vanishing or acting really odd (sometimes my 003 appeared to be partially operational even with the light off) try running from the battery, and / or swap power supplies. It might just solve the entire problem.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Default Re: digi 003 firewire not recognized

Atlanta Engineer's response is the correct one. After attempting to reinstall my Digi 003 driver and completely losing my Windows 7 computer. That is, it would not get past the Windows logo which I finally fixed after several hours.

I came across Atlanta engineer's suggestion. I simply unplugged my Digi 003 from the strip it was in and plugged it into a surge strip that did not have other components plugged into it. Voila. It now works perfectly.

Thank you AE !