Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Default PT8 freeze on scrub

Periodically (several times a day today), PT8 will hang while scrubbing a track, and continue to play (in slomo) the audio further down the timeline. I've tried waiting it out, but end up having to force quit. (of course I also try to get it to save, but to no avail!)

I'm not dragging a QT file, but I do have a Doremi Nugget being controlled via 9-pin. The freeze has happened whether or not I'm online. I also have Edit Insertion Follows Scrub/Shuttle turned on.

I recall this happening now and then in PT7.4, but that was on a different computer, OS, PT software, and hardware, so there wouldn't be anything about my setup that connects the two types of issues.

The only other thing I was thinking was that perhaps it might have to do with scrubbing at the same time PT was saving a backup or something, but I haven't yet done the detective work on the backup times to see...

Any ideas???
Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Re: PT8 freeze on scrub

have you tried turning off Edit Insertion Follows Scrub/Shuttle?
toggle cmd N with no QT chase to eliminate that variable.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 PM

there was a freeze on scrub bug in v6 where each time it occurred you had to delete all databases as a temporary fix.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 PM

Hi,
same thing happening here with Pro Tools HD 8.0.cs1. Today I did a fresh install with Mac OS 10.5.6 and PT 8. The same thing you described happend to me, when scrubbing Pro Tools freezed three times within 4 hours working on different sessions with DV QT movies over a Canopus 110. Scrubbing is not the same as in 7.3, it feels not very responsive at all.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Same here !!!

http://www.arthanor.com
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 AM

Yeah, ditto here. Scrubbing with QT out firewire/Canopus; freeze, hang-up, and/or slo-mo scrub, and occasionally video drops out and I have to toggle the Video Out Firewire option.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM

I just posted in the Post forum. Same thing here. I wasn't even working with picture. Simple dialog tracking session with hardly any edits and only 4 tracks with no plug ins.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 PM

How many RTAS processors do have and how many of them do you have enabled in Set Up > Playback Engine ?
Try with only one.

Last edited by José Luis Díaz; 02-08-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Re: PT8 freeze on scrub

Found out that you have to deactivate "Machine Follows Edit Insertion/Scrub" in the Synchronization Preferences when working with an internal DV video and scrubbing works fine again.

best regards
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Yes, but then when I'm done scrubbing, the session plays back from wherever the last insertion was, and I don't want that. It wasn't always this way. I want to scrub, make a marker, and hit play to find my edit point. If I have to constantly switch between the scrubber tool and the selector tool (or hold the control key and the selector tool to scrub) then that's going to slow me down. A lot.