Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Help for integrating new gear into pro tools

I have a G5, protools TDM HD 2, a 192 i/o with an expansion card (to 16 ins/outs), and a Control 24

I just bought some new gear. I doubt it matters but... I'll list it.

Up to now I've always used my control 24 preamps and all plug ins to record and mix so I don't really know how to integrate the new gear into the system. I need HELP.

I got 2 Requiste PALs and a Requisite mastering limiter, a Universal audio 6176, a couple of distressors, and a GML 8200. I also have 4 additional SSL pres.

Anyway, that's the gear. I'm ready to record another album but I want to use the outboard gear as the front end and, of course, some of it in the mix down phase. Like I said, I need help.

If someone would please walk me through hooking one of the amp/limiters into the system as the front end.

Also...if someone could walk me through setting the i/o in the software so I can incorporate it into the mix.

I know I can probably figure all this out... given some time... but if a kind soul would see fit to save me some time I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Walt
http://www.WaltCarroll.com
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Help for integrating new gear into pro tools

bump
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I have a G5, protools TDM HD 2, a 192 i/o with an expansion card (to 16 ins/outs), and a Control 24

I just bought some new gear. I doubt it matters but... I'll list it.

Up to now I've always used my control 24 preamps and all plug ins to record and mix so I don't really know how to integrate the new gear into the system. I need HELP.

I got 2 Requiste PALs and a Requisite mastering limiter, a Universal audio 6176, a couple of distressors, and a GML 8200. I also have 4 additional SSL pres.

Anyway, that's the gear. I'm ready to record another album but I want to use the outboard gear as the front end and, of course, some of it in the mix down phase. Like I said, I need help.

If someone would please walk me through hooking one of the amp/limiters into the system as the front end.

Also...if someone could walk me through setting the i/o in the software so I can incorporate it into the mix.

I know I can probably figure all this out... given some time... but if a kind soul would see fit to save me some time I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Walt
Hi,

Here's a quick guide...

1. you must connect all your outboard using the "software inserts" these are the insert i/o in the plugins menu? you MUST use these to make use of the delay compensation.

2. go to your i/o setup and in the insert page create new paths for each of your outboard. for example GML8200 and assign this to i/o's 3 & 4 on the 192.

3.go to your Hardware and make sure i/o 3&4 are assigned as analogue inputs and outputs! (you must always use matched inputs and outputs? out of 3/4 to your GML and back from the GML to inputs 3/4)

PLug your GML into inputs and outputs 3/4 of the 192

Now you can access your GML from the software inserts and plug it into your session the same as a plugin.

You can use hardware when recording before entering Pro Tools; mic/pre-amp/Comp etc then into the 192, and the best way to do this is to get a good quality patchbay and patch in what you need when you need it!! But for mixing you must use the software inserts for the ADC to work!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks Chris. I'm almost done getting this stuff wired into the patch bay. Heck of a lot of wires. I appreciate it. Hope things are well on the other side of the pond.

btw... you can EM me through my website.

Thanks
Walt
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 AM

I use the UA6176 as a mic front end into my HD2 rig - it's fantastic! Use a single mono input direct on the 192 - doesn't need to go via the C24. If you are sure you may want want to use it as an insert, you need to be sure to connect the 6176 outout (the out of the 1176 compressor half) to a mono analogue 192 input (e.g. analogue input 6), then connect the corresponding 192 analogue out (e.g. analogue out 6) to the 610 line in. Have fun!