Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7.4 freezing when Ilok inserted for Strike

There's a procedure that has to be followed. Did you register your Ilok? (free)
Once you've done that you can log into your Ilok account and view each and every authorization on that particular Ilok. Did you actually install the authorization on the Ilok when you purchased the program six months ago? Sounds like probably not.
I (and I'm sure many others like me) have a couple DOZEN authorizations on mine. You plug it in and forget about it. (BTW, it's a good idea to use a 1-foot or shorter USB extension cable on it so it doesn't stick out the back and potentially get bumped and broken. Make your dongle dangle....)
If you take the time to do this right it becomes a total non-issue.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG41 View Post
What??? Dude I bought the Program 6 months ago! Why would I not have an Autorization for it all the sudden? Like I said I have used this program for a long time, and It just started this. I dont really care for you accusing me of stealing the program either!!!

I dont like to leave my Ilok pluged in because sooner or later it will go bad, and id like to preserve it as long as possible. I usually plug it in for the authorization, click authorize, then un plug it, and everything works fine.
You did not mention in your previous posts that you had actually purchased it, so how was I to know?

You said:

Quote:
When I go to load a session that has Strike on it, it asks for me to Buy or Quit Strike, so i insert the Ilok, click Buy, and it freezes everytime. It just started to do this, because it use to work just fine when i inserted and clicked BUY.
That, to me, sounds like it may have been a glitch that somehow allowed you to use the plug-in without authorization. My apologies if I misinterpreted.

I would do what the others suggest - plugging the iLok in and leaving it in, or at least having it plugged in before you launch Pro Tools. Plugging it in at the time it asks for the iLok has not always been reliable.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 PM

i used to have that same problem, and i bought stike! i just got tired of trying to run it and went back to bfd2.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
So if you are telling me the Ilok wont go bad, i'll start leaving it in.
I've had mine plugged in constantly for the last 6 years or so, working most every day. I have four iloks and none of them have ever given me any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Right now im just Pluging in before I launch pro tools
I guess this would work if you use your computer for more than audio. I have mine attached to a hub (3 at one location, 1 at my second location). I leave them plugged in and let them start up/shutdown with the computer. however, I don't use those computers for anything other than audio.

Check back with the guy talking about iloks on the other forum in about 2 years and see how his is working. I bet it will be worn out from being started and stopped so much.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Avid

Quote:
I have just been on other Forums where guys said if you leave the Ilok in all the time, it will go bad faster than if you unplug it.
I have no idea where they're getting their info from, but it's incorrect. Leaving it plugged in will do no harm and you're far more likely to encounter problems plugging and unplugging it all the time - the biggest probably being static.