Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-05-2001, 01:16 PM

Default Pops during playback

UGH... I hate troubleshooting and damn... I have done a lot lately...

Here's my system: B/W G3, Digi001 interfaced with DA7 (the best digital mixer in the world!!!)

So, here is my issue... Still wholly unresolved with some new answers:

I think that defragmenting my hard drive corrupted most of my audio files on that drive. Don't try this at home without backing up EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP first. The results can be bad... very bad.

Playing back I still get pops. I have done extensive tests. Here is what I've ruled out:

I bought some Monster cables to replace my HOSA. Very little difference. Random, occasional pops still occur with the Monster cables. These are clearly not on the waveform. They are sporadic and not duplicated when you rewind and play the same spot over again. Definitely something to do with playback. I tried many recording and playback tests with both sets of cables and noticed very little difference. Still, random occasional pops on playback. Seems to mostly happen with 24bit recordings. Am I hearing loud, audible quantization errors?

Word Clock is synced. Both are set to 44.1K, ADAT card says locked in the D/IO page. Pro Tools is set and looking for the ADAT card. As far as I can tell, everything is set correctly there.

I thought it may be a conflict with my SCSI card, but alas, it is not. I removed the card, tried everything again, same result.

I'm running out of options here. This is getting frustrating. I'm beginning to wonder if it's an issue with the Digi001 or my ADAT card in my DA7.

Anyone else have similar issues? Suggestions?
Old 04-05-2001, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Pops during playback

WELCOME! I had the same problem two months ago! What is your SCSI set up?

Old 04-05-2001, 03:05 PM

I use SCSI for backup purposes and for my keyboard. On my SCSI chain, I have a Yamaha CD burner, Iomega Zip drive and a Kurzweil K2VX at the end. I tried completely removing my SCSI card from my computer and still had pops during playback.
Old 04-05-2001, 06:12 PM

you say the glitches are clearly not visible on the waveform.....could this mean the sync problem may be between the protools and your console?