Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Pro Tools 10 already includes 64 bit drivers for them so I seriously doubt that it is that simple.
In PT10 all the controller profiles on a Win7 rig are in the Program Files(X86) folder, 32bit.
Which makes me wonder about the dual PT10/11 rigs. Do they have two sets of controller profiles?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
Manny, your first sentence proves my point. And the third sentence does as well. Don't tell me I do not know what I am talking about.. You have just provided a straw man argument my friend. Explain exactly how I do not know what I am talking about? Your prize company has proven itself not worthy of your relentless support. If they started thinking ahead more, then maybe they wouldn't always be deemed as the company behind the 8 ball. The truth hurts Manny. Don't minimize my valid criticism. I don't like that. Thank you.
Simple, embracing newer OS's before the final release means that every little changes that will happen in that os until it is finally released pushes back and even up to some points negates all the hard work the programmers at Avid would have made to make the existing PT version compatible depending on the severity of the change. That also means that instead of working on bug fixes, adding new features, optimizing plugins performance, optimizing memory consumption and cpu usage for the said existing version, you would have to split an already fragmented team to reassign some of the programmers to work on that new OS and they would be chasing the proverbial banana up to the point where finally the OS is release and they can actually finalize the work, having lost so much time in the process due to the changes, updates to codes, changes of direction the OS maker might have made before the OS was release. And not to forget that it was announced when PT 10 came out, that PT 11 was coming soon, so it made no logical sense to delay pt 10 even more to work on windows 8 compatibility when that OS was not even out yet.

Imagine a moment if you would, if a simple sdk change has already pushed back many of the third party's plugs, how much more troublesome it is to the actual Daw if there's a change in the development kit of the OS? It's way more productive and cost effective to wait for a stable, major bugs fixed finished OS to work on compatibility for your own program, than having to run after the train trying to catch up.

Hope that answers you.

As an other note, I'm not minimizing your criticism, you have a right to your point of view. I was making a point that in your criticisms you were making an assumption that they could not anticipate something, instead of maybe realizing that they -chose- a different work approach that makes more sense when you have a finite amount of programmers, time and a lot of work to do. The company is prioritizing the work that has to be done on things that are more vital to the customers than trying to keep up with two OS makers battling one an other on who's going to bring out their next big thing on the market first with the new toys, bells and whistles. So calling them ignorant (in a way that's what you did) and unable to foresee a simple release that would happen a year later after the actual release of PT 10, to work on something that is yet finalized and potentially would set back the release of PT 10, pushing back the release of HDX, pushing back the release of AAX, of PT 11 etc etc etc, is not being ignorant, blinded or even incompetent, it's actually going forward with the plans that they have set up year(s) prior to that new OS even being worked on, to cater for your customers first. Sure you're even more angry now that the final decision has been made about the controllers I understand that, it hurts. But don't let that actually blur actual business practices that has been going on for years and that has actually served very well the customers (and let me make it a point to specify that I'm talking of OS support here) to try and make some points that are not founded. Again I'm all for your opinion, just make sure it's aiming correctly at the real problems and not some that you perceive to be, but are far from being problems.

Anyhow I hope the point I'm trying to make on the specific issue of the OS support has come across. To that I'm going to wish you a good evening.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Maybe you have seen already but it is picked by pro-tools expert blog now as well. Lets hope avid gets their heads out of their asses

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...edium=facebook

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB
Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Simple, embracing newer OS's before the final release means that every little changes that will happen in that os until it is finally released pushes back and even up to some points negates all the hard work the programmers at Avid would have made to make the existing PT version compatible depending on the severity of the change. That also means that instead of working on bug fixes, adding new features, optimizing plugins performance, optimizing memory consumption and cpu usage for the said existing version, you would have to split an already fragmented team to reassign some of the programmers to work on that new OS and they would be chasing the proverbial banana up to the point where finally the OS is release and they can actually finalize the work, having lost so much time in the process due to the changes, updates to codes, changes of direction the OS maker might have made before the OS was release. And not to forget that it was announced when PT 10 came out, that PT 11 was coming soon, so it made no logical sense to delay pt 10 even more to work on windows 8 compatibility when that OS was not even out yet.

Imagine a moment if you would, if a simple sdk change has already pushed back many of the third party's plugs, how much more troublesome it is to the actual Daw if there's a change in the development kit of the OS? It's way more productive and cost effective to wait for a stable, major bugs fixed finished OS to work on compatibility for your own program, than having to run after the train trying to catch up.

Hope that answers you.

As an other note, I'm not minimizing your criticism, you have a right to your point of view. I was making a point that in your criticisms you were making an assumption that they could not anticipate something, instead of maybe realizing that they -chose- a different work approach that makes more sense when you have a finite amount of programmers, time and a lot of work to do. The company is prioritizing the work that has to be done on things that are more vital to the customers than trying to keep up with two OS makers battling one an other on who's going to bring out their next big thing on the market first with the new toys, bells and whistles. So calling them ignorant (in a way that's what you did) and unable to foresee a simple release that would happen a year later after the actual release of PT 10, to work on something that is yet finalized and potentially would set back the release of PT 10, pushing back the release of HDX, pushing back the release of AAX, of PT 11 etc etc etc, is not being ignorant, blinded or even incompetent, it's actually going forward with the plans that they have set up year(s) prior to that new OS even being worked on, to cater for your customers first. Sure you're even more angry now that the final decision has been made about the controllers I understand that, it hurts. But don't let that actually blur actual business practices that has been going on for years and that has actually served very well the customers (and let me make it a point to specify that I'm talking of OS support here) to try and make some points that are not founded. Again I'm all for your opinion, just make sure it's aiming correctly at the real problems and not some that you perceive to be, but are far from being problems.

Anyhow I hope the point I'm trying to make on the specific issue of the OS support has come across. To that I'm going to wish you a good evening.
Somehow I don't think Avid's major customers were waiting with bated breath for Windows 8...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Somehow I don't think Avid's major customers were waiting with bated breath for Windows 8...
the fact that your rebuttal was limited to only one annoying sentence is a win for all of us!

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Digidesign seemed to lose interest in the Control24 almost as soon as it was released.

I'm actually grateful to them for not supporting it in 11, as it forced me to get rid of it. It was an ergonomic nightmare and the reflections off it interfered with the control room acoustics. The audio path was ok, but could have been better.

I have replaced it with an Artist Mix surface, which I'm liking a lot. [Ironically, I couldn't get it to work properly with the PT11 demo, but I'm sure that will be sorted out soon and I haven't bought 11 yet.] The faders are more responsive to fine movements and much nicer to use. It also isn't tied to only using PT, so I have the option of using something else if I ever get too annoyed with Avid.

I do miss a lot of the shortcuts, as I had never used PT without the Control24, but am quickly learning where they are on the keyboard. I miss the meters and the thing looked so much cooler than my little 8 fader Mix module.

It has been a huge amount of work to get things to where I'm happy and can communicate easily with the studio. I'd used the Control24 for 11 years and used a console for the 11 years prior to that, but it was worth the effort.

Now that I'm happy, they can do whatever is necessary to get 11 to speak to the Control24 for the rest of you. Being in Australia, where I paid a lot more for the Control24 due to shipping and a poor exchange rate at the time, I lost $12,000 selling it! I'm sure it would have been worth more if they'd kept supporting it over the years. It always felt stuck in the past, as new features were added to PT, that couldn't be accessed from the surface.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM

I would happily pay avid, or anyone, to get my expanded procontrol working. I'm concerned that if I upgrade to D Command, which is pretty old already, how long until it is discontinued too?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM

Hope nobody gets offended I had no time to read this incredibly long thread, but I just wanted to join the community of people who strongly hope for the ProControl to be supported in PT11 !!!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
:)

Darryl Ramm