Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Default pci expansion chassis...

looking into getting one. ran out of slots in the computer.
have HD core, accel process, non-accel process, and uad-1 cards.
not using the non accel card right now due to lack of slots...

still not positive on what PT requires. 32 bit? 64 bit? proper bus speed?
are there certain types that def won't work with PT?

using 8.01 HD. dual 2.5g powerpc. leopard. slots are not pci-e.

can i get a pci-e chassis to pci, in case i wanted to get maybe the new uad cards, which are all pci-e now?

any info would be great.
thanks...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Default Re: pci expansion chassis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor View Post
looking into getting one. ran out of slots in the computer.
have HD core, accel process, non-accel process, and uad-1 cards.
not using the non accel card right now due to lack of slots...

still not positive on what PT requires. 32 bit? 64 bit? proper bus speed?
are there certain types that def won't work with PT?

using 8.01 HD. dual 2.5g powerpc. leopard. slots are not pci-e.

can i get a pci-e chassis to pci, in case i wanted to get maybe the new uad cards, which are all pci-e now?

any info would be great.
thanks...
Hi,

The Magma PE6R4 is the best choice and gives you 6 PCI slots and a PCIe host card. many users have this chassis which works great and latency free. i have 6 PT cards in the chassis and UAD-2 & SSL Duende in the computer.

Some of the new smaller Magma options might work but they are not supported, but i believe there are some users using them.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:04 PM

thanks for info.
my computer is older pci-x style. will there be a model with a pci-x host card that will work effectively with PT?
is there any information bottle neck issues with these chassis's?
again, thanks for help...
Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
thanks for info.
my computer is older pci-x style. will there be a model with a pci-x host card that will work effectively with PT?

Hi,

Ah sorry i thought you were going to upgrade the computer as well. the mention of UAD-2 cards confused me!! you can't mix and match PCIe and the older PCI cards. the only way is to buy a computer with the faster PCIe spec if you want to use UAD-2

Unfortunately the PE6R4 only works in PCIe computers. other chassis that work on PCI computers are not as fast, but do the job OK. the Magma P7R4 is probably the best option.

As i mentioned i have all my original HD pci cards in the chassis and the UAD-2 and SSLL Duende PCIe cards in the computer.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
thanks for info.
I'm still using a Mac G5 PPC Dual 2.0 with a Digidesign 13-slot expansion chassis, which is 32-bit PCI. I'm running PT 8.0cs3, HD4 Accel, 4 Lynx Aurora 16s and multiple eSATA drives. The rig works great until I get into 96k mixes with high audio track counts, i.e. above 70. The bottleneck can cause an error that interrupts recording, saying something about too many voices per DSP--even though the System Usage window indicates that I have more than enough DSP headroom. Fortunately, most of the jobs that come through here are at 48k.

Other than that, it's all good.

System info: PT Ultimate 2019.6 HDX, Mac Pro 5,1 Westmere, OS 10.13.3, UAD2 Octo PCIe, 2x Lynx Aurora16 w LTHD cards, 1x Lynx Aurora(n) 32 ch analog I/O DigiLink, 4x Dangerous Convert-8 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Convert-2 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Vonvert AD+, Apogee Big Ben, SSD boot drive, external FW800 audio drives
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Ah sorry i thought you were going to upgrade the computer as well. the mention of UAD-2 cards confused me!! you can't mix and match PCIe and the older PCI cards. the only way is to buy a computer with the faster PCIe spec if you want to use UAD-2

Unfortunately the PE6R4 only works in PCIe computers. other chassis that work on PCI computers are not as fast, but do the job OK. the Magma P7R4 is probably the best option.

Chris

ok. so does that mean that i can't use a pci-e chassis with a pci-x host card? new format can't go back thru older format? the newer cards are faster, right? so i guess that makes sense...

thanks...