Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-02-2001, 01:59 AM

Default Trouble in DSP land.....

I am having a problem where I get DAE error 7204(not enough DSP) but the usage window will say I have up to 6 chips free.

This seems to happen only with certain plugs - , Dverb, DPP, Auto tune, Waves - (anything to do with pitch,actually)

For some reason they only ever want to live on chips 2,4or5.

Other plugs will load - Recti, Scifi Ampfarm etc.

Have I got faulty farms or some setup thing (all all chips equal on the farms, or should I trade one in for the older style card?)
All the cards check out ok on digitest.

Also, when clicked on the MIX Card#n bar above the gauges in the DSP usage window, comes up with <allocated> on all the spare chips - what is this?

Any Ideas?

System:
PT5.1, 9600/newer tec G3/400
Mix+, 2 farms
3 888/24, 882,SSD, IBM DDRS drives

PS: all the plugs are legit, if you were wondering!
Im new to the DUC - all you lot are legends!

Old 04-02-2001, 06:04 AM
Avid

Default Re: Trouble in DSP land.....

-There are an increasing number of plug-ins that will only instantiate on a specific DSP chip. However, the DSP chips on MIX cards do not all have access to the same amount of RAM:

-3 chips have SRAM (Static Random Access Memory). Extremely fast but limited in size. Good for reverbs and short delays (this chip is required for plug-ins such as MegaVerb, LexiVerb and many third party plug-ins).

-2 chips have DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory). Slow but large in size. Good for long delay
effects.

-1 chip has no external RAM.

-The DSP's on the MIX cards have many times more internal memory than a 56002 (i.e. chips used on the DSP Farms), so there is enough to do many processes including EQ, dynamics, and mixing.

-This begs the question... why not build a card with all SRAM chips instead of SRAM, DRAM and no RAM together? The original DSP Farms all had SRAM. This was wasteful when it came to doing long delays liken Procrastinator (1 per DSP limited by RAM) and EQs (which didn't use very much SRAM). Bottom line, depending on the type of plug-ins you use (i.e. whether or not the plug-ins are mult-shell), you will be able to get more plug-ins using one Mix Farm than two DSP Farms.

-An analysis of RAM usage showed that we could best use available board real estate and power by giving different flavors of DSP. This allows more instances per chip, as well as longer delays. The tradeoff is that you can run out of "compatible" chips while there are still DSPs available.

If compatible chips are available:
-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac. When you go back into Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools Application Icon and not by double clicking on a session. Once Pro Tools is launched, reconfigure the hardware settings.

-You may have a corrupt session. Create a new session and move the tracks using the File>Import Tracks command and see if the error persists.

Brent
Old 04-02-2001, 08:28 AM

Brent, I would not think that is a case of a corrupted session. Rather it seems to be a sometimes useful undocumented feature by which you can "force" plug-ins to go to a spesific DSP card.
Old 04-03-2001, 11:36 PM

Zeus,
Could you elaborate on that?
duffy
Old 04-04-2001, 03:53 AM

Well, it sometimes can happen that a plug-in wants to go to a MIX chip even if it could live on a vintage farm chip and there is dsp available in that vintage farm. So this apparently undocumented feature let's you temporarily allocate all dsp on the MIX farms and the offending plug-in must then go to the vintage farm. After this you just release the MIX farms.

But Digi engineering, is this really an official feature of Pro Tools 5.1? This can not be a case of a corrupted session or such because I can use this feature in any session.

Z
Old 04-04-2001, 07:31 AM

The feature you are discussing is really for internal testing purposes. I am not sure why it is in the shipping version.

I would not recommend using it because it may lead to sessions that do not reopen with all plugins active. If the DSP Manager was not smart enough to assign plugins a certain way to begin with then it probably still won't be smart enough to assign them that way when you reopen the session. Use at your own risk.

------------------

Frederick Umminger
Digidesign Plugin Engineer