Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-30-2002, 01:00 PM

Default Re: best sounding album ever

System of a Down's Toxicity.
Phenomenal for a hard rock record.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:05 PM

So, so many... but just a couple that amaze me...
1.Yes/Close to the Edge/Eddie Offord
2.Beatles/(to pick just one)... Magical Mystery Tour/George Martin
3.Led Zep/ I&II

You have to keep in mind the limited technology of some of these eras, too. Really amazing...
Old 10-30-2002, 01:06 PM

My 2 cents are gonna be way off base from what you guys listen to but Dr. Dre's "Chronic 2001" was superbly mixed and produced and no other producer has ever achieved the "SOUND" that Dre lays down with for Rap/Hip Hop music...

He also won a Grammy for "Producer of the Year-Non Classical".

I also thought Nirvana'a "Nevermind" was a huge break through, especially for the Seattle GRUNGE sound. An excellent album though...
Old 10-30-2002, 01:09 PM

Hey Folks

Ted Templeman's VAN HALEN!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

DJ D-BOY
Old 10-30-2002, 01:16 PM

Beck's new album "Sea Change" is very well done. Produced, Mixed, Engineered by Nigel Goodrich. Each song was recorded and mixed the same day! Amazing! Also Radiohead's OK Computer is sounds great (Nigel once again!). As far as Heavy music goes, Korn's new album is as big as it gets. My favorite vintage recording would be "Abbey Road" by (god do I have to say it) the Beatles.
Jayman #9
Old 10-30-2002, 01:22 PM

I think that for earlier records the first few Led Zeppelin albums (1969 to1971) and Jimi Hendix's Electric Ladyland (1968 or 1969) and simly stunning.

For more recent offerings i would say the Dave Weckl Bands 'Transition' (2000) and the Pat Metheny Groups 'Imaginary Day' (1998) sound simply amazing.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:25 PM

Anything produced by Lee Perry... rumor has it that he used to bury his tapes in the garden outside the Black Ark and leave them there for a month or so to get that mellow sound. That and a puff of smoke into the tape can.

Wonder if that'd work with a hard drive?

Also, I'd like to second the posts above on Dre and Tool - two of my favourites production wise.

And, albeit a truly vile album, Peter Gabriel's OVO had a great sound. I'd use it to try out monitors etc...
Old 10-30-2002, 02:35 PM

Jamiroquai´s A Funk Odyssey is something amazing. U2 records since The Joshua Tree are unique. Lenny Krevitz´ Circus has great drum sound but I hate his new stuff. ACDC´s Highway to Hell blew my mind when I heard it for the first time, and I wasn´t even a musician by then (I am a guitar player since 1982), it is so heavy and so clean... I like records where you can feel that somebody has played any of the instruments. I have Nelly Furtado´s CD "Whoa Nelly", which sounds awesome but it is so not human... Even her singing, it is so perfect that it doesn´t sound natural."n.4" by Stone Temple Pilots has an awesome heavy sound, including not only guitars, but bass, drums and vocals too, real energy, I always imagine lots of tubes melting when they were recording and mixing it. Other artists that always achieve great sounding
records no matter the time and technology available: David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Yes, and so many more. I think it is easier to tell which ones I hate the most.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:40 PM

I almost forgot. Breakfast in America by Supertramp not only sounds great, it has one of the nicest ambient sound I ever heard in a recording. Also, Fleetwood Mac´s Rumors, it is a lifetime high quality recording.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:48 PM

All that said, the best sounding album ever for me has to be Joe´s Garage.