Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM

Default PT 8 LE Freezes When Loading Plug-Ins w/ Win 10

Hi Everyone,
The good news: got a brand new laptop straight out of the box - Yay

The bad news: tried installing PT and it freezes up loading plugins - Boo

Here's what I'm running:

-PT 8 LE on a Dell Inspiron 13 running Windows 10
-Mbox 2

Here is what I have tried so far:
-Read somewhere that Internet Explorer can cause issues, so deleted IE 11 that came installed with the computer and rebooted.
-Disabled anti-virus (Trend Micro) and rebooted.
-Originally was getting stuck at structure.dpm, so I went in and deleted all instances of that, rebooted, but now getting stuck at vacuum.dpm.

*Interestingly, the screen disappears for a split-second before re-appearing and then freezing in both cases.

For what it's worth, PT 8 LE ran perfectly fine on my old desktop (Dell Win XP) ultilizing the same MBox2.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 PM

Default Re: PT 8 LE Freezes When Loading Plug-Ins w/ Win 10

UPDATE

I removed vaccum.dpm and now it gets stuck on the DAE Loaded screen.

Interestingly, when I minimize that the screen, I can see the home screen with the menu at the top (file, edit, etc) and the grey background, but it locks up (not responding).
So close........

Some more specs, if it helps:

My Laptop is:

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)

As seen here:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-13...13-7353-laptop
Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Simple answer is that PT LE 8 is not qualified to run under Windows 10.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Wow, that's an unfortunate wrinkle....I appreciate that link.

Since all my session data is stored on 1 TB external drive, what do you think about installing Windows 7 or 8 on that drive, then installing Pro Tools on that drive rather than the C drive? Is that a workaround?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Pro Tools needs to be installed on the C: drive, but there are still possible solutions here.
#1-try the compatibility modes during the installation of the software(and always use the Run as Admin option)
#2-pull the system drive and pop in a blank drive, install win 7....
#3-skip Pro Tools and try Reaper or studio One

Last 2 cents, an i3 cpu is a "budget" processor and Pro Tools needs "power"(which means an i7 quad is a much better choice). If you do try windows 7, your LE8 still needs to be installed properly and will NEED the 8.0.5 update

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2016, 08:13 PM

Hi,
Thanks for all of your help so far. The problem has changed, so not sure if that qualifies as a new thread or not. If so, let me know and happy to repost.

So here's the latest on my situation:

I took the plunge and got Pro Tools 12 HD. It opens just fine and works on my laptop running Windows 10. The problem becomes when I try to hook up my studio monitors to the MBox 2. The sound still only comes out of my laptop speakers. Here's what I know/have done so far:

1) To listen to audio in a non-Pro Tools way (MP3s, YouTube, etc) I connect the monitors to the computer via a RCA--->1/8 adapter and connect that to the headphone jack on the computer. Works fine.

2) For use with Pro Tools, I connect the monitors to the back of the Mbox with 2 RCA-->1/4 adapters in the Monitor Out slots. Mbox is connected to the laptop on USB 3.0 port. Lights are blinking on the Mbox and I can hear the hiss from the speakers indicating they are working (plus I get to hear them pop whenever I restart).

3) In Device Manager, Under Sounds both the Mbox Audio and Midi Drivers appear. I have right-clicked on both to update and they are both up-to-date.

4) When I go to Control Panel --->Hardware and Sound--> Devices And Printers, the Mbox appears under devices listed. However, when I try to Troubleshoot, the computer restarts.

5). If I go under Control Panel -->Hardware And Sound-->Sound, the Mbox is NOT listed. All that comes up for Playback is Conexant SmartAudio HD or Headphones (not plugged in). Under Recording, Mbox is not listed, just Internal Microphone Conexant SmartAudio HD.

6). In Pro Tools, for Playback Engine it only lists the Conexant SmartAudio HD for both input and output. No Mbox in sight.

As a side note, I am also running a VGA--->HDMI adapter to use my regular computer monitor as the monitor for my laptop. I notice that when I have both the Mbox and the monitor hooked up at the same time during start up, there are issues getting past the Dell Screen. If I remove the Mbox, it starts up fine. I can then plug in the Mbox, wait for it to light up and then start Pro Tools, but that only gets me to my current predicament. So my initial thought is there may be some hardware conflict between my laptop and the Mbox, unless I'm missing something.

Would welcome any thoughts.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 AM

Try and installing the Mbox2 drivers
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Mbox-2-Drivers
Old 02-23-2016, 02:48 AM

You are a genius! That did the trick. Plus as an added bonus now I don't have to switch my speaker cables around for non-PT use. So THANK YOU!!!!

Now my only issue is that when I tried opening up a session recorded at 48 khz, I got the following error:

"Current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 khz."

I looked it up and it mentioned a fix by changing the Clock Source in the Hardware Setup to Internal, but it was already set to that.

Is there an external clock source I can mess with or another fix? It opened up a 44.1 session just fine.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for getting me to this point!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 AM

Try disabling your Mbox in your Windows system sound devices when using Pro Tools.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 AM

PT driver is not multi-client - at least on Windows since PT 11. Leave your Mbox as the interface for Pro Tools and your onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio. Known issue, but not documented by Avid, just us users.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction