Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 AM

Default Gain compensation when using parallel effects.

Hi all,

I'm testing out trying to use effects on aux tracks rather than as inserts so that a single effect can be used on several different tracks (which saves on CPU). But as I automate an effect gradually blending in, the volume of the track goes up which means I have to automate the volume of the track downwards to compensate.

Is there an easier way to set this up so that the effect send will not adjust the gain of the track? Or where the gain is automatically adjusted to compensate?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Gain compensation when using parallel effects.

Not really - that's just part of mixing. The only other way to make it easier is to go back to insert the effect on the track and use the Mix pot to adjust the balance between the dry and wet signal. You could set up and aux and send the original track and effects aux to it, then limit or compress the output to try and control the output, but it won't sound exactly the same.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-29-2020, 02:42 PM

Sounds to me like you don't have the effect plugin on the aux set to 100% wet.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Sounds to me like you don't have the effect plugin on the aux set to 100% wet.
Could be - what kind of effect are you using?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM

I noticed it when using the Portal plugin by Output but have noticed it when using other aux sends too, yes I do have it set to 100% wet on the aux track.

As I start to turn up the return fader, the volume of the track starts to increase, which I think is because a copy of the track is being blended in, so I wondered if there is a way to prevent the volume increasing. As you say maybe I could try a compressor.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercreature View Post
I noticed it when using the Portal plugin by Output but have noticed it when using other aux sends too, yes I do have it set to 100% wet on the aux track.
As I start to turn up the return fader, the volume of the track starts to increase, which I think is because a copy of the track is being blended in, so I wondered if there is a way to prevent the volume increasing. As you say maybe I could try a compressor.
Forget the compressor, I think you might be missing something in the basics here.

Basics are:
First scenario:
I have a vocal track and I want a reverb on it.
I put a reverb plugin as an insert on the track and I use the wet/dry control in the plugin to set how much reverb I want on the vocal.

Next scenario:
I want a reverb to be available to any track, like it was done in the analog days when you maybe only had one reverb.
I create a aux track, put a reverb plugin as an insert on it, make shure that it's set to 100% wet in the plugin, and leave the fader at -0db. Then I create a send on any track I want to have some of that reverb and use the send to control how much of that track is being sent to the reverb aux track.
The aux track with the one reverb now acts as a overall effect going into the main bus, and any track can have more or less of it.

There is no reason to put plugins on aux tracks other than if you want a plugin to be shared between several tracks. IOW no "saving cpu".

(Also, it's very common to "solo safe" a aux reverb, so that when you solo a track, you will hear the reverb also.)
IHTH
Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercreature View Post
As I start to turn up the return fader, the volume of the track starts to increase, which I think is because a copy of the track is being blended in, so I wondered if there is a way to prevent the volume increasing.
Yes, This is exactly what will happen and should happen. It will be noticeable to different degrees depending on what effect you're using. If using reverb on an aux track, the dry signal won't be increased, but there will be an increase in overall with the added reverb. But using something like a chorus effect, you'll probably hear a more noticeable increase in overall volume, so you may need to decrease the dry signal on the original track to reach the overall volume you want.

But now that I think about it, on most plugins that have a Mix control, when using it as in insert, it seems the overall volume doesn't change much you put it at 50%, though I haven't actually done any measurements. You could potentially send your tracks that you want the effect on to an Aux track, and using a plugin on the Aux, blend the level of dry/wet with possibly no noticeable increase in volume. The problem there is you would have to change the amount of effect for ALL the tracks going to the aux. Could get a little frustrating doing it that way.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM