Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2003, 11:08 PM

Default So what\'s the best mastering software out there?

Hey, I'm wondering what good software there is out there for mastering, if anyone would like to help me out. I've been trying out the T-racks plugin stuff, which seems good, but that's about it, so I have no clue how it compares to other things. I've heard Wavelab is good. Any truth here? Any other software you think I should definitely try out? What do you think is the best choice?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Re: So what\'s the best mastering software out there?

WaveLab is kinda like Pro Tools, in that it's where you use the plug-ins you got. Well, in every other way they are very different pieces of software, so please, no one flame me for that sentence! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

WaveLab is great, it allows you to burn a Red Book CD directly from the program! and mastering in it is a pleasure. but you can master in PT and then burn .WAVs in Nero or whatever else you got. WaveLab is just a more comprehensive solution.

in terms of actual processing plugs, T-Racks is supposed to be great, but the RTAS PC version isn't OUT YET ( [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ). stupid IK. anyway, for mastering, one should always check out Waves' Master Bundle, which is also included in their Platinum Bundle.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:59 AM

yes, but i have still not found the solution of burning cd's with out gaps between the tracks. say I want to put a live cd out, or i just want to have absolute control of the transitions between songs!

to me, programming and burning the cd flawlessly is a good third of the mastering process. Any body burn masters out to an external burner? (I have an hhb burn it, wondering if I can program the discs ( tracks, transitions, song titles ) from my cpu via sp/dif or something...
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 08-04-2003, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keny:
yes, but i have still not found the solution of burning cd's with out gaps between the tracks. say I want to put a live cd out, or i just want to have absolute control of the transitions between songs!

to me, programming and burning the cd flawlessly is a good third of the mastering process.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeahyeah, me too. so that's why i master in WaveLab (rec+edit+mix in PT). but i was just saying that because you can technically do everything like change gaps and crap without spending money for WaveLab, it's just a lot easier with it.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:11 AM

you guys should check out sonic foundry's cd architect. Its a really great little program for desiging cd's. gives you control over all the index points freely from the audio. I was trying to figure out for awhile how some people put audio into negative time, you know you have to rewind the cd to get to it? Anyways its pretty awesome in my opinion for designing the cd..

As for mastering, I would do it in PT, the best thing is outboard gear, you would be amazed at what a nice outboard compressor, and then the waves L1 Ultramaximzer can do.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:24 PM

Thanks, I'll check out wavelab and the waves package. Anyone else know anything good?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by saittam:
Thanks, I'll check out wavelab and the waves package. Anyone else know anything good?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i have been using wavelab since 1996. i think it is a slick program that makes mastering and cd burning a breeze. i do agree that much like with pt, the third party plug ins really enhance the program. but the newest version of wavelab has some real good plugs included with it and burning cd's is a no brainer. i've always prefered wavelab over sound forge for ease of use, but i haven't used sound forge in years. maybe the newer versions are better. there is also a shareware program called goldwave which is supposed to be pretty good. i think its only $45 if you decide to buy it.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:51 PM

My first choice for mastering is Sequoia but very expensive.My second choice would be SoundForge 6.0
Algorythmix is a good tool for noise reduction and declicking.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:32 PM

CD Architec is great for what I use it for. I do all of my mastering in pro-tools, but since the waves all come in Dir-x versions I could just as easily do it in a track by track basis in cd-architec. If what you are looking for is a nice dedicated burning software that allows you to put space before or after songs or even blend song beginings and endings together, then sound forge really has to be the easiest way to go. I used wavelab at one time for my mastering but I had some burning incompatiblity issues with the cheapo burner I had back then. However I have found the new cd-architec's interface just plain easier to use and more straight forward. It really isn't meant to be a wave editor like wavelab is, but then again, I do that in pro-tools so there is never a problem.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:35 PM

yeah, CD Architect is supposed to give WaveLab Essentials (the stripped down version of WaveLab) a run for its money.

WaveLab supports VST and DirectX