Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Pro tools session, export to itunes?

Hi all. I hope I'm posting in the right place(?). Here's my problem. I want to be able to export a finished Protools session in to itunes so that I can convert it to mp3 or just leave it as a regular WAV file and send it as an e-mail attatchment or post it here on the DUC for constructive criticsm. (Also it appears to be a good way to play my music quicker than doing it from Protools). No matter what I try I can't get the finished stereo master track from Protools into the itunes playlist. Click and drag from the stored file location in windows transfers the entire tracklist to itunes! I've been a member here for quite a while and you folks have graciously helped me through problems learning and I appreciate that. Now I'd like to let you hear some of my stuff. If it's needed I'm on Protools :-)9.0.6, Windows 7, 32bit. Thanks in advnce.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Pro tools session, export to itunes?

Terry, you should be able to create the mp3 file from within Pro Tools. Go to File/Bounce to Disk/ and select mp3 and whatever quality you want. I usually select something in the middle so the file is not too large to email. Once the mp3 file is created, you can import it into Itunes. I have been doing this to years with PT 7.4 and the Music Production Toolkit.
It is my understanding that with PT 9, you don't need the MPToolkit to have the mp3 option. Someone correct me if that is wrong.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Thank smjslackeridge for your response. I don't recall seeing the mp3 option in PT's9 but I'll look again. As to importing to iTunes, that is my problem. I know how to put a finished cd disk into a playlist in iTunes but my Pro tools sessions wind up as files in my outboard hard drive. How can I import these into iTunes in order to burn a cd or mp3 disk? Or am I just confused?, (which is my usual state of mind).
Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 AM

Hi Terry,
Go to the "What's New in ProTools 9 Guide", page 20. There you will find how to Burn to Disk using the mp3 option. You may have to search for the guide within the forum, or do a Google search. I have the pdf downloaded, but I don't know how to insert a link here on the forum. If you want to create a CD quality file, use Burn to Disk, wav file 44.1kh, 16 bit. Then you can burn it to a physical CD, or import it into itunes. Of course, the import into itunes will convert it again using whatever settings you have in itunes. If you Burn to Disk using mp3 option, I don't think itunes will try to convert it again.

I just downloaded the Pro Tools 9 Reference Guide. Go to Chapter 46, Mixdown. There are about 10 pages or so related to this subject. Read it carefully several times. Solo the stereo audio tracks that contain your final mix. Using the grabber tool, highlight (select) the entire track. One you master the basics, try to learn more about "dither" plugins to improve the audio quality. This took me a while to fully understand and set up correctly. You will want to select "Stereo Interleaved" as the format type. I use CBR (Constant Bit Rate).

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.

Last edited by mjslakeridge; 11-16-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: More Information
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Thanks mjslackeridge. I found it in the Avid knowledge base. Unfortunately it requires spending more money but then, everything to do with Avid requires spending more money! I know. It's only 20 bucks but it should be included. Before I order it, how do I know if it's compatible with Pro tools 9? (Once bitten, twice shy).
Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks again for your help mslackeridge. I found what your referrencing but it doesn't mention mp3. I already know the burn to disk portion but thanks anyway. I did find where you need to order the mp3 option.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 AM

On page 1065 of the Pro Tools 9 Reference guide that I downloaded this morning, it refers to the mp3 Burn to Disk. Are you sure you have to pay extra to have the mp3 option with Pro Tools 9? Someone else may have to weigh in here because I don't have PT9. If you are already familiar with burn to disk, why not just use that to create 44.1, 16 bit stereo interleaved files, and import them into itunes.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 AM

mjslackeridge. There in lies the problem. I can't import the finished file from it's location,(C:/Audio, etc.),in to iTunes where it should wind up as a red book cd/mp3 that will play on any cd player.. When I try, the entire session files,(I.E,) the Pt's session file winds up in iTunes! In other words all the tracks I recorded for the entire session. In my version of Pt's 9.0.6 there is no mention of a feature that enables you to burn an mp3 or any other format. I assume I could burn a data file but that's not what I want to do. I am referring here to burning a Cd in the pc's Audio drive. Although I sincerely appreciate your help and advice on this I think I'll just invest the $20 bucks. Thanks for trying to help.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 AM

Hi Terry, below is a quote from the Avid Knowledge Base, Article entitled "MP3 Option Authorization and Purchase Information" I got there by using the "Google the forum" option at the top of this page.

"Pro Tools 9 and later
MP3 Option is included with Pro Tools starting with version 9.

Pro Tools 8 and earlier
Up through version 8.x of Pro Tools, the MP3 Option software is a paid option purchased separately, and is available here."

So perhaps it didn't get installed or activated when you installed PT 9.0.6?

Try this: Solo your finished stereo mix tracks, Then highlight the entire track using the grabber tool. Now left click File>Bounce to> Disk. Within the dialogue box that pops up entitled "Bounce", on the second line, "File Type", use the arrows on the right to toggle through all of the file types. It is there you should see MP3. If not, then I will agree with you that MP3 is not in your version of Pro Tools, even though it should be.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks mslackeridge for not giving up on me. I'll see if I can find what you are directing me to. I'll let you know if I succeed.