Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Angry pro tools cpu overload?

Hey guys,
My Pro Tools system usage window shows my CPU being used at 10% and as soon as I start playing it gives me the error saying the CPU is overloaded and that I should increase buffer size. (only have about 3 or 4 plugins running)

but….it's only at 10%? I'm tracking with guitar amp emulation plugins, can't really increase the buffer size, plus this hasn't happened before.

I did two updates recently, my interface's drivers which I tried uninstalling and going back to the old drivers with no success because it's failing to initialize the firewire driver (most likely not compatible with OSX 10.8.2)
Also installed the latest update of Protools but ended up uninstalling and going back to the version one prior to it. (PT 10.3.2)

I'm using a new Macbook Pro, processor shouldn't be the issue and the interface is a Steinberg MR816x.

Would be awesome if someone could help me, it's very frustrating and embarrassing when I'm trying to record with someone and these problems come up.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend
Old 10-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Default Re: pro tools cpu overload?

I changed the amount of "Host Processors" and it seems to be running a bit better. It was at 6 before and now I have it at 3, does "Processors" mean Cores? Doesn't an i7 quad core have only 4 cores? it allows me to select up to 8 processors in the menu
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaborda View Post
I changed the amount of "Host Processors" and it seems to be running a bit better. It was at 6 before and now I have it at 3, does "Processors" mean Cores? Doesn't an i7 quad core have only 4 cores? it allows me to select up to 8 processors in the menu
It has 4 physical cores, and 4 virtual (hyperthreading)
You should leave 1physical core for the OS so that pro tools does not take up all the processing power on your mac (or PC)
I have mine set to 10 cores and 99% ( i have a 6 core = 12 cores with hyperthreading)
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the reply.

But you are saying you have 6 physical + 6 virtual .. and that you should leave one physical for the OSX but..you say you have it setup to 10?

Sorry I'm just confused, also even after doing this my problem persists.